Central Hawk

Thursday, March 24

My New Love

Every year, I look forward to March. I don't get that excited about Christmas or other holidays, but I love March Madness. It's my Christmas, birthday and whatever else you celebrate all wrapped into one. But when my team, Kansas, loses early, I find myself wondering what to do. It happened this year when they were upset in the first round by Bucknell. I could barely watch basketball. I had no one to cheer for -- very depressing.

Then I discovered West Virginia. Watching them upset Wake Forest in double overtime renewed my holiday spirit (and I saw my long-lost friend Mike Vest on TV!!). How could you not love a team with a player named Pittsnogle! And Mike Gansey -- what a clutch player. 29 points, 19 in the overtimes. They have a guy named Clarence Sally and another one with a great, long last name.

Amanda and I compared it to your first date after getting out of a bad relationship. When you first get out of a relationship, you feel like something's missing. You don't have anyone to spend your lazy evenings with, no one to call when you hear something funny, etc. But finally, you're ready to date again and you have that great first date that makes you feel giddy and excited again. West Virginia is our first date.

Most people don't understand our love of basketball. We're obsessive and weird about it, we know. Amanda and I can laugh for hours about the time that Doug Gottleib played at Kansas with his shorts on backward and the entire crowd starting chanting "Shorts on backward" until Eddie Sutton called a timeout and the team huddled around him while he changed or about the time Arthur Johnson rejected himself on the rim and landed on his ass. But no one else thinks we're funny. We also take it pretty hard when they lose, especially in the tournament.

That's why Mon and I had to make our own site -- not many people "get" us. I'm just glad I found a couple of girls who do!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home