Central Hawk

Friday, April 22

The One with No Kids Allowed

Ever since my fated trip to St. Louis during which I sat next to not one but two screaming and crying children for the entire flight, I have started being more annoyed with children in social situations. As someone who never wants kids, I am constantly irritated with children infecting my daily life. Two parents at the grocery store with two misbehaving children? Hello, can't one of you stay home while the other shops? This even annoys my mom who loves all kids.

I started thinking about how there are places that dogs aren't allowed, and we have special rooms for people who don't like smokers. Why can't we have non-kid flights or non-children rooms in nice restaurants. I mean, there are places you expect to see children. If I go eat at McDonalds, I expect to see children running around like baboons. But if I go to an up-scale sushi bar, I should not be sitting next to a screaming child.

For those who see this as harsh, I have a compromise. I was just discussing this with Monica, who has a wonderful little boy, my God son, who I love to pieces, and I was telling her we should have Good Children Certifications. In dog training, we have a class called the Canine Good Citizen class. At the end of it, the dogs are certified as Canine Good Citizens and are allowed in certain restaurants and beaches and other places most dogs aren't allowed. The dog has to show he can handle certain situations, like being handled by a stranger and not lunging at another dog when he walks by.

Why not have this for parents? To take your kid to certain places, including airplanes, you have to be certified. Can't keep your child from throwing a tantrum and grabbing things off shelves in the grocery store? You have to retake the class. Can't get your child to stop screaming on an airplane? You can't take him on one. They should be able to prove that their child is well-behaved in restaurants and quiet in libraries. They should pay attention to their parents at malls instead of running wild and bumping into people. There will always be places that all children are allowed. But for those places where you'd like to go for a nice, relaxing evening, kids would have to be certified to enter if they're under a certain age. I think this would be a great way for parents to start to realize how their children can inconvenience other people. I've noticed that parents think, 'Oh, they're kids, and they're cute, and if you don't love my kids, you're a bad person.' They have no regard for anyone else. It's ridiculous. This would eliminate that.

The family that sat next to me on the plane had two screaming kids who did not stop screaming the entire flight. The parents sat there saying, "I know, I know. This is hard," placating their children. I didn't once get an apology. No "I'm sorry my kids are being so loud. They're not feeling well." It would have been so simple. But they were completely oblivious to the fact that I was totally miserable for an entire 4-hour flight. As they were leaving, I heard the mom say to the dad, "Well, this was good birth control for her." Yeah. Great. Just what Robby and my mom want to hear -- another reason that I don't ever want to have kids. Thanks, lady. Really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home