Central Hawk

Wednesday, September 7

The One With Another Doctor's Appointment

Well, I had Muggsy's followup appointment with Dr. Boss today. Dr. Boneysocks is completely out of the picture. I did like Dr. Boss better. She was very dry and hard to read at first, but she did well interacting with Muggsy. She asked better questions, made better observations and came up with some training suggestions. I guess that makes my $900 slightly worth it. If I was the average dog owner, I don't think I would have been able to get a grasp on what she was saying, and I definitely wouldn't have warmed up to her. She said a lot of things that were frustrating for me to hear and didn't try to make me feel comfortable. She also tried to relay personal experiences to me that I didn't think fit my situation much. But I did learn, and that's what's important.

She gave me some new management suggestions for my home to keep Muggsy from lashing out at Ross. Right now, Ross predicts bad things for Muggsy. Ross comes into the bedroom and Muggsy has to quit cuddling with Mom to make room. Ross sits down and Muggsy has to get off the couch and move farther from Mom. Stuff like that. So if Muggsy gets to continue lying on the bed and cuddling with me, which I love, we have to set a schedule. For example, if I'm reading in bed with Muggsy and Ross knows he wants to come in and get ready for bed at 9, then I need to get Muggsy off the bed at 8:30, Ross needs to come in at 8:45 and play with Muggsy for a few minutes and give him treats while I leave the room. Then, Ross didn't get him off the bed and end his fun. Ross brings the fun.

Another one is getting him used to a more open muzzle that he can take treats through so if I have him at someone's house or a new situation that I'm unsure of, I can have a muzzle on him. A good example of when I might need this is when visiting a certain Godson that I don't want to lose his nose. I will also probably have to travel with his crate from now on so he has a safe place everywhere he goes. He needs that choice. Maybe I'll buy a travel crate and get him comfortable in that.

She also made some changes to my training plan. I can only train him when he's at his calmest level. So if walks in our neighborhood are stressing him out, we can't do that anymore. I need to start working him in quiet places where he has no baggage, which he has everywhere in our neighborhood. If he doesn't improve in those places within 3-4 times, I need to find a new place. The start to that is getting him to relax in the car by getting in the car and reading and cuddling and giving him treats so that he's comfortable in the car. The problem I see with this is that it cuts back on exercise for an already slightly overweight dog. I'm going to cut back on his food and make him work for his food to try to accomodate that. She also suggested putting the other dogs in their crates and playing with him in the house. I guess that means more "The Toys Strike Back" and recall games.

The other trainer who went with me because my boss couldn't go told me that she really admires my effort and said she thinks my hard work and management are second to none. I told her that it was good to hear, but that I just feel so far from the finish line that it's frustrating. I feel like I haven't made a dent, even though I know I have. There's just so much to do. And I feel bad that I let it get this far before I started treating him. I just feel frustrated. I guess that's normal.

I finished reading "Bringing Light to Shadow" about a trainer rehabilitating a person aggressive Border Collie. Instead of filling me with hope, it made me depressed. Muggsy will never be the dog that competes in agility or herding or goes to crowded auditoriums and works as a demo dog. She spent a year and a half and got this great dog. Why can't I make Muggsy better? But then, a couple days ago, I read a post from the trainer on one of my lists and she said Shadow had a regression that really shook her. Maybe she just suppressed the behavior and still has a reactive dog, just like I will always have. In a sick way, it made me feel good. My book about Muggsy, whenever I write it, will be much more honest. My boss told me not to read that book. I haven't told her yet, but she was right. :)

I don't want to change him. I love him for who he is. Last night, I took him to training class and a little girl asked if she could pet him. I said, "Thank you so much for asking, but he doesn't do well with kids. I'm sorry." He will never, ever be a dog where the answer to that question is "Sure, come on over." Even if he makes a miraculous turnaround, he's still him and there's that potential for an accident. Just like me. I work and work to contain my temper, especially at work, but every now and then, I'm going to have one of those days where everything gets piled on and the last thing gets a reaction. It happens a lot right now, but I'm hoping to get it to a point where it only happens for things that are really worth it. No matter what, though, it will always be there, festering in me, with potential to erupt. Muggsy is the same way. I will never put him in a situation where there is even a slim chance that he will blow up. That's just who he is, and I'm OK with that. I just want him to be the best Hims he can possibly be.

That being said, he did very well today. He was so calm that I ran my hand down his back and there was no shedding. I can't tell you the last time that happened. He interacted with the behaviorist, sitting and downing for her, and he was comfortable sitting next to the other trainer. He has developed a new behavior of whining in these situations, but the doctor thinks that's improvement, probably from the medication. This is the first time I really saw a difference. He calmed down quickly and though he was still alert, he was not panicked. Thus, she decided to up the dosage. She also said she thought he would be on it awhile. I don't really like that, but if it's what he needs, I guess I'll learn to accept it. This is about him and what's best for him, not my personal feelings on medication as a crutch.

She also wants me to take detailed notes on each of my sessions with Muggsy, so I will probably be using this blog for that as well. So this session went much better. I got some ideas and plan to get started training again. It's a long road, but I need to get back at it. I'm going to make up a plan and scout out some locations this weekend. Maybe I'll do that this Saturday while Ross is watching the Texas-Ohio State game. Something tells me I'm not going to want to be around for that!! I wish I was a full-time dog trainer, but I will make time for all my activities. That's what Type A personalities do best. And good moms. I will do the best I can to help Muggsy progress in his training. I plan to stick with this new doctor for a little while because I think she has good ideas. So does the other trainer who went with me today. It's nice to have such a great support.

Before I left the doctor's office, the other trainer who went with me said, "He's a cool dog. I like him a lot." And I thought to myself, "Me, too!!"

5 Comments:

  • Actually sounds like some pretty good advice about smoothing out relations between Muggsy and Ross. The more brains the better sometimes when it comes to solving problems, and this vet seems like she has at least half of one (not so much in the personality category?). About your future book, I never quite trust true stories that have too much of a happy ending. That's what fiction is for, you know? Life is full of one step forward and two steps backward. Your book will be honest about that. I hope you're making paper copies of your online journal entries. Or should I be doing that for you?

    By Blogger Diana, at 3:56 AM  

  • I should be doing that. But I haven't been. I need to start saving stuff.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 10:46 AM  

  • I know you're frustrated and it looks like a huge mountain to climb, but look at how much you and Hims have learned and how far you've come! Just keep focusing on the positives. And give him (and yourself) a chance to have bad days. He's so much a person, and you know we all have crappy days where we lash out. That makes us human. Chandler knows this guy whose so happy and smiley ALL the time. It creeps me out!

    Don't ever feel guilty or apologize for the situation you're in. What's important is that you're doing all you can do to make it better. Like everyone says, you're going way above and beyond what a regular person would do for their dog, even one who loves their dog like a member of the family. Remember that you have this dog for a reason. There are no coincidences. God gave you Muggsy, because He knew you would give him the most love and the best care.

    By the way, Y-O-U-'-R-E is YOU ARE. Y-O-U-R spells YOUR. (I had to fix that.)

    Oh yeah? Well, it's not that common, it doesn't to happen to every guy, and it IS A BIG DEAL!

    I KNEW it!

    By Blogger Monica, at 1:02 PM  

  • Thanks. I needed that. :)

    Today was the one where Ross gets those leather pants and calls Joey for help. Funny.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 1:10 PM  

  • Hee hee hee. I love that one! Where he slaps himself in the head with the lotion? Hilarious!

    By Blogger Monica, at 8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home