Central Hawk

Wednesday, August 24

The One With the Phone Call

I called Dr. Boss today about Dr. BS. She didn't defend her and she said that I could do my follow-up with her, but she didn't say I could have extra time or any money refunded. But like my boss said, you can't really expect much more than I got. She clearly isn't going to badmouth her employee on the phone. My boss said that if she heard something like that about me, she would politely address the person on the phone and then probably fire me. So she thinks that even though Dr. Boss didn't say so, Dr. BS might very well be in trouble. Maybe I made a difference, maybe not.

Dr. Boss was also very tough to deal with. She didn't even want to apologize that I was having a bad experience with her company. You'd think that she'd at least feel bad. She wants me to video tape my sessions with Muggsy and just general times throughout the day so she can watch them at the next session.

What really bothers me as a dog trainer is that she's charging so much but never laying her hands on my dog. You know, when my boss trains an aggressive dog, she's in the house, observing the behavior, handling the dog. These people are relying on a videotape to get the picture, and it just doesn't cut it. There are so many subtle changes to a dog during stress that you won't be able to see on a TV screen. Just like watching the movie is never a substitute for reading the book, watching a tape is never a substitute for handling a dog. I find it very frustrating. If Muggsy didn't need to be on medication, I would never have done this, and I would never recommend it to someone else with an aggressive dog. Unless you need medication, you're not going to get the help you need.

Speaking of training, there have been no blowups today, but I didn't really feel like training. I'm really tired, and I elected to take them for a walk to get them some exercise instead of training. I have to work tomorrow evening, but I'll work with them plenty this weekend.

2 Comments:

  • Frustrating isn't it? People are so just plain frustrating! I guess it's what makes the world go round. I agree with your boss though. Dr. Boss wouldn't want to badmouth Dr. BS b/c it would reflect badly on herself. It would imply that she hired an inept employee. Or she agrees with Dr. BS. But let's hope not. I do find it very strange that she doesn't put a hand on Muggsy. Wouldn't you need to interact with the dog to fully understand what's going on? And why would you be a behavorilist if you're afraid of dogs, like Dr. BS. In that position, wouldn't you often come across dogs with aggression problems? I'm sooo confused! Sigh.

    By Blogger Monica, at 9:55 AM  

  • Yes, you would come across more aggressive dogs. And if you can't handle it, you shouldn't do it. One of my boss's training friends told her that a lot of behaviorists couldn't cut it as vets so moved to a different area where they don't have to handle the animals as much. Sad that we're getting vet rejects to work with our dogs.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home