Central Hawk

Friday, September 2

The One With the Tragedy in New Orleans

I finally had to tear myself away from all the newswire reports on New Orleans because I'm getting too sad and angry. I really wish I could drive my car down there to help people get out. My car seats eight, after all. But I just can't afford to miss work since I'm going to need all my extra money to pay for gas. It's just around $3 here, but in the poorer neighborhoods, you can still get it for $2.80. I pulled into a gas station that I would never go at night, just to get the most out of my money. I drive an SUV now. It's getting pretty expensive.

But that's not the important thing. I wish I could do more to help the people in New Orleans. It doesn't seem like the government is doing that much to help. Well, maybe it is now, but it's too little too late. There are picture of dead people out on the lawns next to crying children. I made the mistake of reading the New Orleans blog and as of this morning, there are hospitals writing in, begging for help because they have no food and little water and are having to stack the dead bodies out on the balconies because of the stench to those who are still hanging on. There has to be something we can do. Our response to foreign crises is better than this.

The mayor of New Orleans is complaining because what they really need right now, more than money, is buses to get people out of the city. The government is sending school buses, and he's saying get all the greyhound buses you can round up down here. Why aren't we doing that? I'm sure the government has access to enough emergency response vehicles that we can get something better than school buses down there to help get people out of the filth and devastation. I hope that we are doing all we can. It would make me feel much better about our government. Then I wouldn't have to feel like all the Republicans care about is the upper-class white men that they rushed to save in Florida last year.

I was going to start a savings account this month. It's the first time in my life of paying off college debt that I've had a little extra after paying all my bills. But I donated it all to hurricane relief. There are people out there who need that money a lot more than I do right now. I was going to donate it all to Red Cross, but then Ross found this nation-wide animal rescue group that is down there trying to save all the animals, and I donated half of it to that. Hey, I am who I am. We need to get the animals out of there, too.

Then, I start to feel bad because I'm sitting here with my co-workers trying to decide between Tony Roma's and Soup Plantation for lunch, and I'm trying to decide what to do with my free time this weekend. I'm not even worried about gas prices because I live close to work and make pretty good money. I'd have to cut back in other areas, but I could still afford to work.

I just hope that people who are so far away from New Orleans that they aren't really affected by the storm can still feel enough empathy that they will contribute to this. I hope everyone will donate money or relief items or whatever they can to the cause. At the very least, I hope they will keep the people of New Orleans in their prayers and pray that the government will do everything they can to save the people who are still drowning in that city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home