Central Hawk

Monday, January 30

The One Where I'm Drinking the Kool-Aid

I can't help it. After three games where KU has looked almost as good as I think they should look, I'm getting excited about the season. I know that Kansas is just going to turn around and have two bad games that make me wonder how a group with such talent could play so poorly and I'll start pouting about the NIT again. But with Jackson, Rush and Chalmers stepping up and the team tied for second in the Big 12 with Colorado, a team Kansas beat at Colorado, I just can't help but start thinking about the tournament and maybe even a first-round win. I love basketball season. I just can't help it. I was looking for something to be excited about, and I'm starting to get it. Those were tough wins at A&M and Iowa State. If it can keep up, Kansas could easily finish second or third in the Big 12.


On the work front, I've decided to look for another job. I told Joanna today and she was uber-supportive. I'm so glad that our relationship has changed. We're actually enough alike that we can be great friends. She even said she'd keep her eyes open for me. I had pretty much decided that I was going to work there until I could afford to do dog training and freelance writing full-time, probably a year or two, but the Districts are splitting and it looks like the office would move to an hour commute from my house.

I know this will come as a surprise to all those who know me and complain about my Type A personality, but my life is jam-packed right now. I can't afford an hour commute. I would have to cut out running with my dogs in the morning, which I love, and it would be harder to do dog training three nights a week. I'd have to start eating fast food out of my car like I did when I was a reporter, and I don't want to get back to that lifestyle. The only reason my life works is that I live so close to my job. I need to maintain that distance to keep doing what I like. If something has to go, it's going to be this job. We'll see what happens, but I'm actively looking again.


On the dog training front, I scheduled Chubbs' Delta Society test for this Sunday at 2. I found an organization that is affliated with the Delta Society and is active in the South Bay. Delta Society is pretty much the top therapy organization. It's affliated with the READ program and works with all types of nursing homes and hospitals. The test is really hard and I'm not sure how he'll do, but I'm looking forward to trying. This week will involve a lot of training. I hope to post a success story on Monday!

5 Comments:

  • I'm also really proud of Russell Robinson. Remember what a little kid he was last season? He's still little, but he's making some impressive plays, and he works well with Chalmers.

    Good luck on the job search! I hope you find something close to home and un-political.

    And GOOD LUCK TO CHUBBS! :) Practice hard (I know you will)!

    By Blogger Monica, at 5:58 AM  

  • I just want it to be noted that I've been saying all season that it's going to take some time for the young kids to get it and to just wait until right around mid-season where the light will finally come on. Rachel, of course, didn't believe me. See, us Texans do, in fact, know a little about basketball ourselves.

    By Blogger Ned Ryerson, at 6:33 AM  

  • I just want to say that Kansas' season can't be contributed just to growing pains. There are times when this team just seems to lack heart and doesn't want to play as a team. That's what frustrates me. They aren't going to make it very far with the attitude they've been playing with.

    Ned just doesn't understand that at Kansas, we don't accept mediocrity for our basketball team. We don't make excuses for it because no excuse is good enough. We don't have "rebuilding years." Then, I told him that we'll have this conversation next year during football season and see how much he enjoys "rebuilding." I'll get back to you on that because he's a worse loser than I am.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 10:12 PM  

  • Just compare being in the NIT for Kansas to NOT being in the championship game for Texas. Maybe then he'll understand. ;)

    By Blogger Monica, at 7:00 AM  

  • No, I compared it to not making a Bowl for Texas. This was Texas' first national championship game in decades. Kansas isn't a mainstay in the Final Four. But they're always in the tournament, just like Texas is always in a Bowl game of some sort.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home