Central Hawk

Thursday, January 26

The One With the Fat Aggie

I finally watched the KU-A&M game this afternoon (yes, I do have a use for TiVo) and I was really impressed with the Aggie crowd. The last time I was at an Aggie game (two years), the crowd wasn't half full, only the band and the corps (right?) were into it and there were more Jayhawks than Aggies. This is true of almost everywhere Kansas travels except Missouri, Iowa State and the Oklahoma schools, so I was impressed to see that Billy Gillespie has built a program that the fans actually show up to see. Everyone wore white and the crowd was in it the whole time, despite Kansas building up a 10-point lead in the second half and holding onto it. I have to give kudos where due since I usually make fun of how little people in Texas seem to know about basketball.

However, I do have to make fun of one guy. There was this overweight guy sitting right behind the basket wearing no shirt and a tie. It was pretty disgusting. Every time KU would shoot a free throw in the second half, you'd see this guy in the background jumping up and down and jiggling his fat. It was enough to make you want to go out a jog a few miles to make sure you never look like that.

Anyway, I'm on the phone with my best friend, Mindy, while I'm watching the game, describing this guy. She called me later to tell me that he was mentioned in a post-game column where the author described him as "an added distraction" for KU free-throw shooters. Brandon Rush said, "Yeah, everytime I went to shoot a free throw, I had to look at him jiggling around. It was nasty." I'm starting to really like him. You can always count on him for an entertaining quote. So that was my good laugh for the day. The best part is that if I know small-town farm kids like I think I do, this kid would probably just be thrilled to be mentioned, even though he's described as nasty. :)

3 Comments:

  • That poor guy ... it was ridiculous! I too was impressed by all the white. I thought maybe they had given away free t-shirts or something. Or that teams are actually fired up to play against us b/c there's finally a slim chance that they just might win.

    And that 10 point lead was pretty tenuous, don't ya think? (Is that the right word?)

    By Blogger Monica, at 7:26 AM  

  • It was pretty tenuous, especially with the way we've been playing this season, but a couple of years ago, I think everyone would have been out of the coliseum with their team down 10 with a couple of minutes to go.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 2:23 PM  

  • That guy was the most disgusting thing I'd seen in a long time! I bet his mother was proud.

    By Blogger Diana, at 4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home