Central Hawk

Saturday, November 18

The One Where I Talk More About Chubbs

About a month ago, I applied for Chubbs and I to be a READ team, which goes to schools or libraries and helps kids learn to read. The theory behind it is that where children might feel uncomfortable reading in front of their parents or peers, they are always comfortable reading to a dog. Studies have shown that children can advance a couple of grade levels in only a couple months reading with dogs because they actually enjoy reading and even practice to show off to the dog.

I have always thought, with some encouragement from my librarian mother, that Chubbs would be great at this because he doesn't do many tricks but he does love lying next to children and getting pet. He is so great at lying his head on your lap and looking at you as if he really cares what you're up to. I have to train him to pay attention to books, but that just means that we can spend more time together.

Today, we just got our official paperwork in the mail saying that we are an approved READ team! You should have seen Chubbs running his victory lap when he heard the news (even though he doesn't really understand. :)

There is no READ program in our area. Basically, I'm going to have to start my own when I have a little extra time. But I think it will be fun, and I think it will be another great way for Chubbs to bring joy into people's lives.

Please note that Muggsy is also a wonderful dog. He was not blessed with Chubbs' amazing temperment, but he tries so hard and has become a wonderful companion. Even though our annoying neighbor dog barks all night, Muggsy comes inside and goes to sleep. Just because he can't do the things that Chubbs does doesn't mean that I don't love him just as much.

2 Comments:

  • I am so proud! And not just of Chubbs, but also of Muggsy. Both are fabulous success stories. Who would have ever thought that Muggsy would be able to ignore an annoying neighbor dog.

    By Blogger Diana, at 8:11 PM  

  • Yes, and I've taught them all to walk on a leash without pulling so you'll be able to walk them... :)

    By Blogger Rachel, at 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home