Central Hawk

Wednesday, October 25

The One with the Cowboys


The building I work in is in the West Bottoms ... "the West what?!?" you say? That's right, it's the West Bottoms. It's west of downtown in what used to be the feedyards and livestock exchange of Kansas City. And I swear to God, sometimes it still smells like cow manure.

Usually, it's really quiet in the Bottoms. We have the occasional concert at Kemper Arena, but that's about it. The one big event we have is the American Royal, which kicks off with a BBQ competition (YUM!) and then leads to two weeks of rodeos. The point of this is that it's American Royal time and instead of whipping through the back roads to get to work, I'm maneuvering around horse crap and dooley's. Today the open field behind my building is filled with horse trailers and there's a big sign pointing to it that says "COWBOY PARKING" ...

So there's your taste of the Midwest for the day. I know you were missin' it. ;)

2 Comments:

  • Hmm, not so much missing the Midwest. I thought I missed the Midwest until I was sitting in a bar listening to people singing/yelling "Why do you drink? To get drunk!" and "You don't have to call me darlin." The yee-haw was just overkill.

    Of course, the Irish guys were pretty funny...

    By Blogger Rachel, at 10:06 PM  

  • People don't do that stuff in Cali?! ;)

    By Blogger Monica, at 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home