Central Hawk

Wednesday, November 8

The One Where I Believe in Karma

Well, I don't know if I really believe in karma, but I'm starting to. Here I am, still awake at 1 a.m. on election night. Why? Because the television stations don't report on water district races. The only place I can find whether or not I will still be working for the same group of people tomorrow morning is by hitting the reload button repeatedly on the County Registrar site.

Until today, I thought the only Director that I like was going to be booted and the one I truly hate was going to be re-elected. The other one that's up for election, I really don't care about, but he often votes with the two I hate. I've really been in the dumps about my job lately. Let's just keep piling it on.

But when I came home from dog class, I found something truly extraordinary had happened. So interesting, in fact, that I even interrupted my famous partying colleague, Gandolf, at Taco Tuesday and got his attention. The Director we all expected to lose was winning, and the Director we all expected to win was losing. Almost 50 percent of the precincts have reported and the results are still the same. The other Director has been in a tight race all night and just started trailing by a percentage point about an hour ago with 75 percent of precincts reporting. It's not official yet, and I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to stay up. We tried calling our manager at midnight, and she was asleep. So much for our fearless leader. If she's not sick, she's sleeping. Sigh.

Anyway, to say this has been a good night for me is an understatement. I'm excited about all the power the Democrats seem to be regaining, Kansas finally ousting some of the morons on the Board of Education so we won't be the laughingstock of the nation anymore and karma rearing its oh-so-beautiful head in the water industry. The night wasn't perfect, of course, as I'm sure you all saw that we retained our Governator. But as far as Republicans go, he's pretty moderate, and he has a decent handle on environmental issues.

Gandolf is now telling me that our night is far from over. But I'm tired. I'm not sure how much longer I'll last. I'm just going to keep routing for karma. It's served me well so far...

4 Comments:

  • For those of you on the edge of your seat (how annoyed is Ross with me right about now???), it's 2 a.m. and the two Directors that I wanted to lose lost. :) Barring any contesting the votes, this should be official. The Director I want to win is still leading with 93% of precincts in, but his gap is narrowing. I think he will still win, so all in all the night is a success. This could not have gone better.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 2:04 AM  

  • Wow! Congratulations! Over here in Missouri, we (unbelievably) won the stem cell race and we got the light rail to pass. A good election year all around. :)

    By Blogger Monica, at 11:24 AM  

  • Wow! I can't believe you won the stem cell race. I thought that was a little progressive for Missouri. Congrats!

    By Blogger Rachel, at 6:32 PM  

  • I thought it was a LOT progressive for Missouri. I can't believe we won.

    By Blogger Monica, at 9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home