Central Hawk

Thursday, November 23

The One With My Past

When I heard myself saying, "Of course I'll help," I couldn't really believe it. I don't even want to go to my dumb high school reunion, and now I've volunteered to be in charge of invitations. Bizarre the things I do to make people like me. Anyway, I've basically decided not to go to my high school reunion in April. While I'm sure it will be fun and nice to catch up with people from my past, I have absolutely no desire to be told how incomplete my life is because I don't have a husband or children.

In less than a week from making that decision, my past found me. When I was in high school, I partied with a lot of older guys, guys old enough to buy me alcohol. That was really my circle of friends, moreso than the people I went to school with. In fact, I only went to school with two of the guys who rented the house in Hutchinson that we all partied in. One of those guys was a senior when I was a freshman and interestingly, we have always stayed in touch through e-mail. I haven't seen him since my sophomore year of college, but I hear from him occasionally. This week, I heard from him for the first time in 3-4 years. He's leaving Colorado to move to Mexico and I'm on the traveling route. So I agreed to meet him for a drink in January when he was coming through town.

But his mass e-mail put me on the e-mail list of another of those guys, a former stalker who lived with me for a couple of weeks and covered up all the pictures of my boyfriend, left flowers on my pillow every morning and work "fag" on Gavin's head because I thought he was cute. Let's just say Mon and I will never forget him. He e-mailed to tell me that he and his brother were living in Tuscon with their crazy pit bull and wondered how I was doing.

I, of course, e-mailed back. He's a furniture salesman, which I just can't picture, but it made me think that if I've grown up and changed from the girl I was when I was 17, they've probably grown up, too. It wasn't either of them who did any of the horrible things to me that made me want to never speak to any of them again. In fact, I stayed friends with the two of them for a year or so of college. And just because I get an e-mail from them occasionally doesn't mean I have to slide back into that whole life that caused me to spiral into a suicidal depression. I've finally outgrown the person that I was when I was 17. I might not have been able to be friends with them two years ago, but I can now, so I decided to be that same friendly girl that everyone knew, instead of being the bitch that wants to forget her past. Isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about? Or is that Easter?

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

2 Comments:

  • I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF INVITATIONS.

    Who are you and what have you done with my best friend? JUST SAY NO!

    By Blogger Monica, at 10:20 AM  

  • I can't help it. I felt like I should chip in. Ross' class had a reunion committee. We only have 27 people! We're all the committee. Everyone was pitching in and I just said yes.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home