Central Hawk

Wednesday, November 22

The One With the Only Day I Miss Texas

I'm sure I've mentioned on this blog in the past my hatred of the holidays. I don't like Fourth of July, I don't like Easter, I don't like Halloween and I don't like Christmas. I also don't like the way people start decorating their houses for Christmas on Halloween and how there is Christmas music on the radio in early November. My best friends and I exchange gifts during the true holiday season, March Madness.

But since becoming an adult, I have always loved Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is the holiday that we don't have to spend with our families. It's the day that misfits who live far from home can set their own traditions with their friends. Mine was always eating Boston Market and drinking beer with my close friends in the parking lot of Texas Stadium. This was always followed by the game, of course, and then meeting at my house for some home-cooked food that would get slopped together in a fashion that would probably make my mother cringe.

In California, I'm forgoing the recent tradition of eating at the family of a co-worker to spend the day with my mom and a couple of new friends from work. But, in keeping with California tradition, I know that when the Cowboys kickoff against the Bucs I will text my best friend from Texas and tell him that I miss him. And, just for a second, I will miss Texas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home