Central Hawk

Sunday, March 25

The One With No More Basketball

Unlike most holiday seasons, which have defined dates, my holiday season can end anytime. And it did Saturday evening when Kansas lost to UCLA. I'm always disappointed when March is over, not really because of my team but because of my friends. I have talked to Mindy every day this month, and I get texts from my other college best friends several times a day. When basketball season ends, that all slows down, and I feel a little more cut off from the world.

I know that I can still talk to Mindy, but the bottom line is that our lives aren't that interesting. So we really don't have something to talk about every day. I don't really want to hear about the White Sox every day, and I'm sure she's not that interested in the cute thing Chubbs did yesterday, so we really run out of things to say. The same thing happens with my other friends. Now that we're grown up, we don't have a lot to talk about.

Today, Mindy and I made a list of topics that we could potentially talk about next week, and we talk once or twice a week all throughout the year anyway, so as to ease the blow a little. But now I have to go focus on cheering for my second favorite team -- whoever is playing North Carolina. I'm not thrilled about another year where they make the Final Four and Kansas doesn't.

But if Kansas returns everyone, as I think they will, you're all invited to the Gellars next year as we watch Kansas extend the holiday season one extra week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home