Central Hawk

Monday, November 27

The One Where David is Just Like Mama

As you all know, David looks and talks just like his Dad. There's no denying whose kid that is ... unless you ask Rach (and no, I did not sleep with Greg Foster). But finally there are signs that David actually has characterisitcs that resemble me! At a recent parent-teacher conference, we were informed that David was doing so well. He's a good leader and role model for younger kids, he speaks up in class, he has pre-reading skills and he even "reads" books to the other children. However, the teacher did have two small complaints ... first David takes everything too personnally. Whenever he is corrected, he takes it as a personal attack and gets really sad. Sound familiar anyone?!? I STILL have a hard time receiving constructive criticism at work. This is something I've struggled with for years, but I'm pleased to report that my son is doing much better in this area - the teacher says she's seen a marked improvement.

The second area David needs to work on ... well, it sounds like he's a perfectionist in training. For example, if the children are supposed to make a turkey, the teacher will put an example in the middle of the table. If a younger child puts the turkey's legs on top of it's head, David is quick to say "That's not right! The legs go down here!" So I'm supposed to point out and praise things that aren't quite "right" so that he learns to accept and appreciate differences. This will be hard for me, since I can't even let my mom put away the dishes in my kitchen b/c she doesn't get them in quite the right spot ...

Hey, everyone has their little quirks. I'm just glad mine live on in my baby! ;)

4 Comments:

  • I'm with David regarding the turkey. Putting its legs on top of its head is not a difference that should be accepted or appreciated. It's not even creative. It's simply wrong. :)

    By Blogger jason, at 3:14 PM  

  • Yeah, what, we're now supposed to reward our kids for doing stuff wrong? :)

    Glad to hear the Green-Gellar trait of taking everything to personally is living on in future generations, but it doesn't make me want to have kids anytime soon. Think of all the awful traits my kids could carry on!!

    By Blogger Rachel, at 8:35 PM  

  • But think of all the goods ones ... we do have some good ones right?

    By Blogger Monica, at 2:30 PM  

  • I'd have to think about that...

    By Blogger Rachel, at 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home