Central Hawk

Thursday, August 11

The One with the Sleeping Breakthrough

I don't know if you all know the sleep habits David has adapted, but they consist of desperately needing his daddy to sit with him, right next to his bed on the hard floor, until David falls asleep. Then when Chandler gets up and the floor creaks, David wakes up and we're right back where we started. I decided that this was ridiculous and that my almost 3-year-old was certainly big enough to fall asleep by himself.

So, on Tuesday night, I removed Chandler completely from the picture. I sat with David and read a story, sang songs to him while he drank his milk, and then sat with him while he fell asleep. It was a start, at least he wasn't constantly asking for his daddy. Then when he was pretty much asleep I left the room. This became the start of a severe screaming fit. I'm surprised the neighbors didn't call the police. It sounded like we were torturing him.

I finally went in and said "Stop screaming. Do not scream again or I will give you a spanking." I said it harshly enough that I had his attention. Then I talked to him about being a big boy, how he can go potty all by himself and get himself dressed, and how proud I am of him. Then I gave him Mickey Mouse (a gift from Rach) and told him to squeeze Mickey everytime he was sad or scared or wanted to scream. And I told him to say "I can do it Mama." IT WORKED! It was pretty pathetic, the way he squeaked out "I can do it." But he fell asleep by himself!

So the next day we made a big deal about it and told him how proud we were and told his teachers. He was so proud of himself that last night he was all prepared and didn't even whimper when I left the room! He just kept yelling "I can do it Mom!" with Mickey. But it got quieter and quieter until he was asleep!!! He went to sleep by himself. From now on Chandler does not get to put David to bed. He's the weak one. He gives in to the "sit with me Dad" in the sad little voice. No more. I'm not breaking him of this again!

3 Comments:

  • Never trust a man to do a woman's work. :) Great job!! I'm so proud of you and David. (Or should we call him Jack? :)

    Believe it or not, I had a similar experience with Muggsy, who was perfect at the vet. Perfect. He sat behind the door without a struggle. The vet tech didn't believe that he was the same dog I was talking about. She even said to me, "You must have been exaggerating." My boss and I both almost cried and are still talking about it. He was a rock star.

    And, come to find out, there's not a damn thing wrong with him. But it's still good that we went through all this because we got to see Muggsy go through something and come out on the other side. Every time he does this will be better and better. I feel really good about what the two of us have accomplished so far, and the next step is to try the Paxil and see what else we can do.

    It may not have turned out like I thought, but I'm happy I had to go through it.

    I'll post later about what's going on. I've been so busy with this and my two jobs and I'm exhausted. So I haven't been as diligent with the updates as I should have been.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 9:00 PM  

  • Kudos to both of you - moms extraordinaire!!

    By Blogger Diana, at 3:42 AM  

  • We learned from the best. :)

    By Blogger Rachel, at 6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home