Central Hawk

Thursday, August 18

The One With Everything From Tom Petty to Training

I have been so busy at work, all! I'm finally starting to feel the effects of Mark leaving, and it couldn't come at a weirder time. Joanna has been hit by a nice stick. Well, listen to what happened. I have been keeping some of you posted on our Request for Proposal for our Publications Consultant. We have some unethical Board members that were trying to get the firm that runs their political campaigns to win the contract. They aren't qualified for the work that it involves, but they're pushing for this firm because I'm sure they're getting kickbacks. However, the Director that usually breaks the tie between the unethical duo and the old ethical guys actually voted with the ethical guys, which never happens. We won!! The firm we wanted got it.

I, of course, was torn because I want to see Joanna quit, which she might do over this, but my job will get a lot harder if I have to work with this unqualified firm.

This week, the unethical duo won. The third Director reconsidered his position and has requested the item come back to the Board next month. Joanna went to her boss, the co-GM, and from some of the things he said and did, we think he's in bed with the enemy instead of looking after us. She had the same reaction to this as I did when I found out that she was playing Mark and I off each other. She has decided to come at 8, leave at 5 and take lunch and has told us we can do the same. Wow!! We can follow the law!! Gee, thanks. She even said it's OK that our families come first. Whoa. Um, mine always did. But she's being really easy on us and has even started pushing for us to get to go to this conference in Vegas -- three days: all meals, hotel room and mileage paid for. So a free trip to Vegas for Robby and I!! Crazy. So my work is harder but my boss is easier. Go figure.


*****


Sunday, Ross and I went to the Tom Petty concert at the Verizon Amphitheater. It was incredible, of course. They way oversold the lawn, so it was really crowded, and we couldn't see, but the music is the most important part. I love Tom. He got me over my breakup with Barry. I think I listened to Wild Flowers every day for several months. My junior year roommate thinks that it was the only thing I ever listened to that year. He didn't play as many obscure songs as he did two years ago when I went in Dallas, but he played all my favorites, "Mary Jane's Last Dance," "Learning to Fly" and "American Girl."

He ended with "American Girl." I love the first verse of that song. Tell me this isn't so fitting for me? "Well, she was an American Girl, raised on promises. She couldn't help thinkin' that there was a little more to life somewhere else. After all, it was a great big world with lots of places to run to. And if she had to die tryin' she had one little promise she was gonna keep." My promise, of course, was to move to Dallas and work for the Morning News. I made that promise to myself when I was 12 and kept it. But that verse makes me think of being 17.

Anyway, I love Tom. Not a lot of talking, but he always says "Thank you very much, baby dolls." He played a Traveling Wilburys song and he has a new song called, "Melinda." But it's about a hooker. Not much more to say. It was a good time.



*****


Muggsy's Training Diary
August 18, 2005

Muggsy is in Day 6 of his medicene with no negative side effects. There have been no changes, but I guess it could take up to a month to see any real changes. I have noticed some training changes. In general, he's less reactive and for a shorter time. I had a real revelation with him yesterday morning. He just does not like his "job" of guarding the house. He was having a bad day -- very reactive. On our walk, he couldn't even look at me. In the morning, the door was closed to the bedroom, and Chubbs was in there with me with Muggsy in the living room. He was nutty, barking at everything, so I brought him back in with me and let Chubbs have the living room. You could just see him physically relax. He was so much calmer. He really needs me to take control and say, "You don't need to do this." I think that keeping him in the bedroom while I'm gone has done as much for his personality as anything because when I'm not there, he still doesn't have to guard. It keeps him from spending the whole day freaking out, which is making a difference.

I let Muggsy and Chubbs in the same room intermittenly yesterday and for most of the evening today. When Ross got home, I let them greet him at the door, which was my mistake. Too much too fast. Muggsy attacked. I stormed out. It stopped and he was waiting guiltily in his crate when I got back. He didn't come out until I said OK and I made him do some obedience cues before I would acknowledge him. The attack wasn't bad, which proves that the medicene has not increased the aggression. Honestly, it hasn't changed him at all.

As far as obedience goes, I am teaching him come, which has kind of slipped through the cracks with him. But I want his recall to be as rock solid as Chubbs' is. I'm also teaching him heel so he can walk along side me, focused on me, when there is something around him that will make him react. I'm also teaching him 'left' and 'right,' which I read in a book and love the idea. I'm going to use it to direct him away from things if he's loose in the yard and the water guy comes in or something. Then I can command him into a direction and he'll go away from it. Come will also work for that. I just want him to have lots of options. I also do sit, stay, stand and look. And of course, shake. I bought a trick book and will teach him more stuff later. I don't know if I told you all this, but I'm going to teach him to touch a hand mirror when I say "Who's the cutest dog in the world?" and touch me when I say, "Who do you love the most?" :) His down is getting better, but I've been working him in the yard and haven't practiced stay there yet because it's pretty distracting. During training tonight, I called him off a couple of distractions -- kid walking by and dog walking by -- to come back and focus on me so that was good. He's trying. I think there is still hope.

I've been exhausted this week so I haven't been reading and training as much as I should, but I'm back at it finally!! And I don't have classes for the next two weeks after Sunday, even though I have to work both weekends for my other job, so I should have more time for my own dogs. I'm going to keep a more careful log so you can all see what's going on, so I should have a training post every day.

1 Comments:

  • It's good to catch up on my favorite Cali-chica! Glad to hear the Petty concert was awesome, as always. I haven't heard "Melinda" yet. I'll have to look it up on iTunes. Your name is very popular in songs. You never hear my name in a song. Sigh.

    Exciting about work!!! She's finally figured out that you work your ass off and what do you get? A kick in the shorts. Too bad it took her so long. Too bad you have to work with her at all, but at least she's not as crazy now!

    Yeah for Muggsy and all his tricks! He's such a smarty dog! :) Look forward to hearing how he progresses. The medicine may just take some time to kick in. But that's great that it's not causing a negative reaction.

    By Blogger Monica, at 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home