Central Hawk

Thursday, September 8

The One With the Training Plan

I had a hard time sleeping last night formulating the training plan I would like for Muggsy. Here are my thoughts so far:
  • I work Tuesday and Thursday nights, and next week, I work almost every night, so I will have to do sessions in new places only 2-3 times a week and just work with him at home on basic obedience other days. I would like to strengthen his recall, teach him directionals and improve stay, down and stand. I'm also going to teach him targeting and some other tricks when I have time.
  • The first step will be getting him comfortable in the car. I'm going to start that tomorrow, just sitting in the car with him, reading and treating for relaxing behavior.
  • From there, I will try new places. I'm going to look up area parks and check out which ones have the fewest people. I think I'll start there. They suggested empty parking lots on weekends as well, but most of the places like that around us are shopping centers that are open on the weekend. However, I could take him to our work parking lot and work him out there or the industrial park near our house or our water recycling facility or school parking lots in the area. There are plenty of those.
  • I want to work up to working him in our yard and the park in our neighborhood so I can get back to exercising him with walks.
  • I also need to work with Chubbs some because my boss wants to use him in class. Right now, I'm working with him on self-control, and I'm going to spend some time working on loose-leash walking and focus and well as down-stays. He does shake now really well, but he doesn't want to do down. Crazy kid.

OK, that's all I can think of for right now. I should probably get back to work. They aren't paying me to blog. Just suck up to Directors. :)

3 Comments:

  • It always feels good to have a plan. Remember to make time for Rachel too. I think you should schedule in some quality one-hour blocks of reading time at the beach!

    Man, work sucks. When is a million bucks going to fall into my lap? I've been waiting, like, forEVER!

    By Blogger Monica, at 8:06 AM  

  • Well, here's something for Rachel. I called in sick today, and I'm not sick. I'm on my way to get some chocolate cake right now, and I think I'm going to read for a few hours. It's too cloudy for the beach today. I do plan to work with the dogs, though. Relaxation time is way over-rated.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 11:24 AM  

  • I'm so proud! It's like the old days when we would call in sick or skip class and then watch Friends all day! Maybe you'll have time for one episode ...

    By Blogger Monica, at 12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home