Central Hawk

Tuesday, April 11

The One With the Agility Basset

Just a quick light-hearted post to lighten the mood a little.

I'm back in agility class with Chubbs. I had to sit out the last session because of my month of recurring dizzy spells, but I rejoined the basic class, just because I think it's fun. This class is so much better than my last one. There aren't that many traditional agility dogs like border collies and shelties. There's a dog that looks like a pit bull with basset hound legs, another pit mix and a basset hound!

You've all seen agility, right? Dogs rushing through courses, jumping through tires, running over ramps... Can you picture a basset doing this? Try. It really cracks me up. In the middle of the run, he will just get bored and wonder away from his owner. He's scared of the tunnel. But at the end of class, his owner hit on a gold mine. He brought out this squeaky ball and the dog came tearing across the course and did exactly what it was supposed to. The entire class applauded. It was hilarious.

For those of you who are wondering how my big clumsy, Newfie-Rottie is doing in the class, well, he's slower than the basset. :)

3 Comments:

  • I love it!!! I'm signing Maggie up right away. Oh wait. She needs basic obedience first right? What does that entail exactly? She can sit, down and shake ... but only if she feels like it or you have treats. Otherwise, well screw you.

    By Blogger Monica, at 11:25 AM  

  • Yeah, I'm going to need pictures of that.

    By Blogger Monica, at 11:25 AM  

  • You actually don't really need basic obedience for agility. What you need is a pretty solid recall (come). Sit and down doesn't hurt. And you can have treats.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home