Central Hawk

Wednesday, March 15

The One Where...

"It's the most wonderful time of the year." Some contend that song is written about the time period commonly known as the holiday season from Thanksgiving through New Years. Not me. I hate that "holiday" season. I contend that the song was written in that anxious hour between the end of the last conference game and the Selection Show on the second Sunday in March. This is my holiday season. For me, it's the most wonderful time of the year.

I love it so much that I'm not sure how I will sleep tonight. I love the Selection Show when you get to see all your gifts all wrapped up: all the potential upsets, all the potential nail biters, the potential that your team has to make it to the Final Four. I could care less about all the analysis because I usually think that I know more about basketball than Billy Packer, and hearing that my team will have an early collapse always makes me mad, but I love seeing the brackets laid out for me. Then comes the best part -- the first weekend of the tournament. I always take the first two of those days off and just veg in front of my television for every exciting -- and even some less than exciting -- minute. There's nothing better than March Madness. For four days, I give myself permission to be lazy. I give myself permission not to work on something or toward some goal and I just enjoy myself. It's the only time of the year I do that.

This year, I'm pretty exciting about Kansas as well. I like our bracket. I know it's going to be tough, but being a No. 4 seed and looking at facing a No. 1 seed in the Sweet 16, you have to love the idea of playing Memphis instead of Duke, UConn or Villanova. Plus, I'm not that impressed with UCLA as the 2 seed or Gonzaga as the 3 seed. I think Pitt is a tough 5 seed for a second round game, but Kansas has looked excellent since January with the exception of the loss at Texas. This team is exciting to watch, and I think they could make a good run in the tourney.

The new leg guy at my job, who is my kindred spirit when it comes to basketball, graduated from Arizona and decided to turn in our work pool bracket with Arizona winning it all. So we made a little side bet on whose bracket would do better if I picked Kansas to go all the way. Since Arizona is going to play Villanova in the second round, put your money on me. I like my chances.

By far the greatest thing about this year is that it can't be any worse than last year. Yes, Kansas fans, the worst is behind us. I really don't think there's anything worse than watching a team laden with the senior leadership of our stars Wayne Simien, Keith Langford, Mike Lee and Aaron Miles lose in the first round while our former coach whose name shall never be uttered by me went on to win the national championship. Short of Missouri winning it all, which can't happen this year, I think it's all up from here. At least, it can't get any worse.

1 Comments:

  • I don't think we needed anymore evidence on Billy Packer and Jim Nantz. :)

    Yeah, I think what happened with KU wasn't that bad in itself. A bunch of freshmen can come out and play like they did in the Big 12 tourney or like they did early in Big 12 season when they lost to KSU at home. It's just that it's paired with last year's devastating loss that makes it so disappointing. Now we have to spend another year hearing about Bucknell and Bradley.

    We should get some kind of thank you card for putting both of those teams on the map. Who had heard of them before they beat us? :)

    By Blogger Rachel, at 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home