Central Hawk

Tuesday, April 11

The One Where We Pay It Forward

I was talking to some co-workers this morning and our conversation turned in a way that reminded me of two very personal stories. The first is pretty recent, it only happened a few years ago. When David was born, he was an unexpected bundle of joy. And an unexpected bundle of costs! It's amazing how much cash it takes to keep one of those little guys afloat! Chandler had been out of college two years and I had just graduated 9 months prior (you do the math ;). One day Chandler went to the grocery store to get formula. I think a little package costs about $12 and the large can was around $20. When he got to the register, his card was rejected. With no cash and no other cards, he had to leave. But as Chandler was walking out to his car, a man ran out with the formula he had just left behind.

My second story is from my childhood. When I was little, we lived in Arkadelphia, AR. My dad was a professor at a small college in town, but he decided to give in to the call he first heard at age 14 and become a preacher. He worked all manner of odd jobs, in addition to preaching at a tiny church in the country with seven faithful members. So I'm sure money was tight and my mom tells of one day where she looked into the cabinets and there was no food. I'm not sure how old I was, but I think I was a toddler and I don't think my sister was around yet. She didn't what she was going to do, she didn't have any money. A woman in her church pulled into our driveway with a trunk full of groceries. My mom didn't call and tell anyone about her needs; the woman just somehow knew.

I wanted to share these stories to encourage us, including myself, to pay it forward. To think about the times you've been in need and someone has been kind. To be thankful every day for the comforts of your home and to remember that you're not far from standing on the corner or visiting a shelter. I know I'm about a paycheck away from it! David's school is fund-raising for the Caring for People Fund right now. A statistic on some of the literature said that the average annual income of a family of three that this fund assists is $19,000. Now think about what your family's average annual income is! I know I needed this reminder that I'm so blessed to have been able to receive a college education and have an excellent job. Now I need to search for ways to get involved and help those less fortunate. And to pay it forward!

2 Comments:

  • Good post. I try to think this way all the time, but it sometimes gets very discouraging when you see all the people begging for money that are con artists or use on alcohol or whatever.

    I, too, have been poor and know what that type of unsolicited kindness can mean. I try to think of that when I see someone in need.

    Thanks for the reminder.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 10:55 AM  

  • Well sure! I think it's easy for me to get caught up in what I DON'T have instead of focusing on all the things I'm blessed with.

    Like how my damn couch has a big ugly hole in where Maggie nests. Yeah, she's ripping the stuffing out slowly but surely. But you can't get the girl off it! She lu-u-uvs her couch. Besides, it's past repair, so who cares. But hey man, at least I have a house to put my ugly couch in.

    I guess I can't stay serious for too long. ;)

    By Blogger Monica, at 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home