Central Hawk

Thursday, May 25

The One With the Loser Club

Since I've moved to California, I haven't made a lot of friends. There are a few people at work now, but very few who invite me out on the weekend with any regularity. Most of the people I know have lived in the area their whole lives, have the same friends they've had their whole lives and aren't looking for people to join their clique. I recently found out that I'm not alone.

In my advanced obedience class tonight, I was telling one of my favorite students that she needs to have her friends help her with the supervised separation portion of the Canine Good Citizen test. She's this loud red-head from New York, obviously one of the more enjoyable characters I've met since I've been here. Her husband is big and quiet and intimidating, but for some reason, they both really seem to like me. Well, she responded, "I don't have any friends." I said, "I don't really either. I think it's because we're transplants." So I turned to another woman in the class, a shy woman who has to be from the Midwest and asked her if she had friends to practice with. She shook her head. Then, another woman in the class said that she had lived here 10 years and still didn't have any friends. Interesting.

We jokingly talked about starting a club so we'd all have friends to practice dog stuff with and do some socializing. I guess we should actually do it to keep all of us from suffering with no friends.

But isn't that funny? Lots of people are having the same experience I am. Interesting...

3 Comments:

  • It's seems like it's that way everywhere. You should definitely start something. It is really hard to make new friends, which is strange because most people are lonely. It seems like you've been presented with a good opportunity. Even if only one of those people turns out to be a friend, it would be great.

    By Blogger Diana, at 4:42 AM  

  • Having moved a lot, I know it is really hard to make new friends. But I've always been in school, which makes it much easier. Even though you're not in school, you do have a great opportunity to meet people w/ like interests through your classes. I definitely think you should start some sort of "transplant club" or something. You could get together once a month or something. People could bring other new people they know. Ooh, sounds like fun! Get out your party hat girl. You're BA-ACK!

    By Blogger Monica, at 7:39 AM  

  • It's funny because when I lived in Dallas, I worked with so many people my own age that making friends wasn't a problem. Plus, journalists drink, so there was always someone going out. This is the first time I haven't really been able to make friends at work.

    I guess a transplant club is a good idea. Although, I don't know if any of us would have anyone to invite since we all have no friends. :)

    By Blogger Rachel, at 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home