Central Hawk

Wednesday, May 24

The One With My "New" Job

Sorry for the lack of blogging lately. Since I moved to just working for one District, my life has gotten really busy. You wouldn't think it would be this way, but I used to work in a department of four, and now, I'm the only one. I'm getting all kinds of responsibilities, which is great, but it does cut back on my at-work e-mail/blogging time.

Things have been going well. My new boss is the anti-Joanna. He's really laidback and funny, and I really enjoy working for him. He lets me keep my own schedule and doesn't really monitor what I do that closely. We're in the process of hiring my new full-time manager. So far, there have been three applicants, all older men. I wonder how that will work. I'm so much happier going to work every day, not dreading what Joanna will say to me or what ridiculous work I'll get assigned. Now, I'm being invited to important meetings and being asked to help with lots of different projects. It's really exciting. I've temporarily stopped the job search.

Speaking of job changes, my old college roommate just got her first real law job. She graduated from law school last May and has been working in a law office in Chicago, doing I'm not exactly sure what. But she just got a job doing the exact type of work she wants to do in Kansas. I'm really excited for her! It's always nice when you get just the right job.

For the last several days, I was also busy because my mom was in town visiting on her quarterly visit to California. I've gotten very boring in my old age, so we didn't do a whole lot but go out to eat, watch movies and do dog stuff, so I hope she had a good time. I think she likes California. She made what I think was a joke about looking at some apartments down the street from me. Hmmm. Anyway, I was sad to see her go. It was nice to have her here.

Muggsy did very well with her here. I thought that with his recent experience at the vet and a visitor in the house so soon after that he would be pretty hard to handle, but he tried really hard. He hasn't attacked Chubbs since Game 4 of the Spurs-Mavs series. Every Wednesday, I take him out to Yorba Linda for a long walk and then he waits in the car while I teach dog class in Costa Mesa. Tonight, however, it was in the 80s, too hot to keep a dog in the car. So I had to put him in a crate and keep him at the side of class. It was pretty uneventful. I had to turn the crate around so he couldn't see, but he behaved a lot better than Chubbs does when he's a spectator in class.

So I guess that's about it. I lost a dollar to Ross on the Pistons-Cavs series. It started as a joke when I jokingly said that it would be great if the Cavs, who I cheer for because of Drew Gooden, beat the Pistons, creating an easier road for the Spurs. Ross said that would never happen so I bet him a dollar. When the Pistons won the first two games in blowout fashion, it became even more of a joke, but then the Cavs came back and won three in a row. I talked a lot of trash, but in the end, the Pistons won. It really doesn't matter because the Spurs didn't win, losing to the Mavs in an exciting Game 7. It's pretty disappointing because I love the Spurs, and I think the Mavs-Suns series is going to be really boring. I hate basketball where there's no defense. It bores me. I'm cheering for the Pistons because I love the way they play and think they have a better chance than the Heat, with Wayne Simien, of beating whoever comes out of the East.

I know none of you really care about the NBA, but my best friend, Mindy, just e-mailed me to tell me that the Supersonics (Nick Collison) and the Bulls (Kirk Hinrich) are going to play an exhibition game at Allen Fieldhouse Oct. 15. I wish I lived closer because I would love to go to that. No one will care about anything other than Nick and Kirk, but what a good time. I really hope to get back to Allen Fieldhouse in the next couple years. I haven't been there since they got the new court and video board, and I really want to see the new Hall of Fame. I was just thinking recently about how much I miss Allen Fieldhouse...swaying with the person next to me during the alumni song, the sound of the Rock Chalk chant, tearing up newspaper, clapping the fight song, singing buhnuhmuhnuh... I don't think I've been there since Roy Williams died. It's been a long time.

3 Comments:

  • You have gotten kind of boring in your old age - which is why I had to liven things up by mentioning the nearby apartments. The look on your face was highly entertaining. I like to visit you in LA, but I wouldn't want to live there. I had a great time.

    By Blogger Diana, at 4:13 AM  

  • I'm sure it was entertaining. But I do think that So Cal is better than South Carolina... Something to think about.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 12:48 PM  

  • Carolina? What the heck!? Then you could visit me in GA :) ... and Rach wouldn't visit either one of us. :(

    Glad you're back Rach. I keep checking the blog only to stare at Chris O'Donnell (not that I'm complaining) instead of a new post. I know, I know. I could actually POST something. But I'm pretty boring as well!

    By Blogger Monica, at 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home