Central Hawk

Sunday, July 23

The One With Chubbs' Birthday

Sometimes, weather creates memories for me, just like a smell or a song on the radio might. It doesn't happen that often out here because the weather is always the same. Like when I was growing up, the wind would change a certain way and it would remind me of football season, going on walks before the game because I was too nervous about the Cowboys' upcoming opponent. The wind never changes that way out here, so I never get that memory anymore. But lately, the weather has been a lot like it used to be in Texas.

The other night, Ross and I were leaving a restaurant and it was warm with a cool breeze, like it used to get in Arlington during the summer of my internship. Once it got around midnight and I was leaving work, there was this cool breeze that broke through the hot air and I would lie outside my apartment and watch the airplanes fly over. That was the best summer of my life. Today, it reminded me of Texas because it was 90 degrees this morning and then started raining. The rest of the afternoon, it was sunny and humid. But we have a nice beach breeze, so it's not too much like Texas.

Anyway, yesterday was Chubbs' birthday. I made him a cake and bought him some presents. It's funny how dogs get which present you give to them. At Chronikah, I always notice the dogs have a special affinity for the prestents that were given to them, even though they'll switch around and play with the other gifts. Yesterday, Chubbs, who never guards anything, was guarding his yellow chick (that he picked out at the pet store himself) and the mongoose that Ross gave him by hiding under the chair and growling at Fenway.

To be fair, though, Muggsy has attacked him four days straight. I'm sure he's not in a great mood. It's been so hot that Muggsy hasn't been wanting to go far when we exercise, so now he has all this anxious energy again because he's not getting enough exercise. I've been remedying that this weekend, even walking a mile in a downpour at the beach. I hope I can get him calmed down before his grandma comes to visit next weekend.

OH and one more thing -- I met my new boss Friday. She seems really nice, very down-to-earth, not very Southern California. I liked her a lot. When I was walking around introducing her to everyone as my new boss, she got really embarrassed and asked to be introduced as my colleague. She said she had a very loose management style and would manage me however I want to be managed. She said she knew we had balanced lives and she expected us to work to live, not live to work. She has a lot of really good ideas and said she wanted us to think of all our goals for ourselves and our department and how she can help us reach them. I think she will work out really well. At least she has to be better than my last boss!!

1 Comments:

  • Happy birthday to Chubbs,

    Happy birthday to Chubbs,

    Happy birthday dear Chubby-wubby ...

    Happy birthday to Chubbs!


    The new boss sounds great! Could it be that you have suffered thru all the bad bosses you've been allotted in this lifetime and it's greener pastures from now on? I think so, my friend! And a Happy Monday to you! ;)

    By Blogger Monica, at 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home