Central Hawk

Sunday, July 2

The One With the Fireworks: Day 1

Last July Fourth, I took my dogs out of town, away from the fireworks. I had every intention of doing that again this year, but one of Robby's friends is getting married today, so we couldn't go far. Then, yesterday, with our neighborhood quiet and me with a stomach ache, I decided to just stay home. I found this great French restaurant with the best ice cream I've ever tasted (authentic French) and this great warm goat cheese sandwich. Too much dairy for me. I had to go home and go to bed.

So this weekend is now an experiment in how well Muggsy can do with the fireworks. Last night was extremely successful. He slept through a fireworks show, lying next to me on the bed. He woke up during another, but I started petting him and he just went back to sleep. I hope the rest of the weekend is this peaceful.

I also watched White Oleander. Not as good as the book, of course, but it was pretty good. If you haven't read the book yet, by Janet Fitch, I highly recommend it. It's beautiful writing. The description is so excellent that you can feel the Santa Anas and picture the neighborhoods and emotion. I'm always so bad at writing description. I prefer plot. But this was amazing. Check it out.

3 Comments:

  • They were shooting them off in our 'hood last night too and Theo was not a fan. I'm painting the closet (purple!) and he couldn't get in there, so he laid right outside the door. :( But he didn't do too bad, I can just tell he was nervous.

    I'll have to read White Oleander. I need to go to the library b/c I want to read David Charlotee's Web. He's talking about farm animals at school. :)

    By Blogger Monica, at 2:01 PM  

  • Thought I'd post on your blog rather than running a discourse on Jasons...Thanks for the tip! I'm probably looking for something a little closer to San Bernadino or Orange County...if there's a reasonable, humane place, that is. Any feelings on PetSmart's PetsHotel?

    By Blogger Julia, at 5:35 PM  

  • I don't know much about PetsHotel. I do know someone who does GSD rescue in the OC. I'll ask her if she knows anyone. I will tell you this, though. Ask to see the facility. If they don't show around everywhere and act weird about any of your requests, don't go there! It should look clean and the kennels shouldn't have too much mess in them. Ask how much time they spend in the kennel, how many staff members they have on each shift and make sure someone is there all night.

    Mon, my mom borrowed White Oleander from me, so ask her for it. It's really good. You'll love it.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home