Central Hawk

Tuesday, July 4

The One With the Fourth of July

Don't think me un-American when I say this, because I certainly don't mean it this way, but I hate the Fourth of July. I certainly don't hate what it signifies, but I hate the holiday that it's become. How does blowing up things and lighting up the sky with color celebrate our independence? Hey, we have this whole country now -- let's catch it on fire. Seriously, does it seem like a good idea to light off a bunch of explosives in a place where the houses are stacked ontop of each other and it never rains? No.

Anyone who loves the Fourth of July, I've decided, didn't grow up white trash, or still is white trash and doesn't realize it. If I started listing the number of things that caught on fire when I was growing up, you'd realize just how white trash I was. But I don't like to remind people that I grew up with red on my neck, so I'll stop talking about it.

Now, I have a new reason to hate it -- my dogs. Dogs don't understand what those loud noises are. They don't understand that those noises aren't attacking our house. It freaks Muggsy out. I spent the evening locked in my room, watching the Cosby Show and feeding Muggsy a treat log. It went really well until about the fourth time that Ross came in complaining that he wanted to go to bed. So I abandoned the food, turned off the television and went to bed with him, lying awake just in case. I guess as you can see, I had to abandon that strategy as well. The sound of the fireworks is getting closer. I'm still up at 11 on a work night, reassuring Muggsy that those loud noises aren't hurting anyone except me tomorrow morning. I hope they stop soon...

5 Comments:

  • Yuck. I'm sorry you were up so late last night, and I hope everything went ok after you posted.

    I can't say that I love the Fourth of July. I don't mind it, but it's not a favorite holiday or anything. But I did have fun laying in the grass, enjoying the beautiful night with David and Chandler, watching the fireworks show. But it was just the joy of spending time doing something so simple with the boys I love.

    I agree, I do NOT like the people who stand in their driveway and shoot off bottlerockets from Friday night to 2 AM last night. You know those people are drunk. A little girl was killed in a housefire this weekend caused by fireworks. So then all weekend I was checking the yard for sparks. I do enjoy sparklers and snakes (the quiet stuff!) but we didn't have either. I did see a group of people light an entire box of snakes on fire. It was a bonfire o' snakes in the road. Nice.

    By Blogger Monica, at 2:12 PM  

  • I finally went to bed at midnight. People are so inconsiderate. People have to sleep. Even if I didn't have dogs, I'd want to go to bed.

    I forgot about snakes. I always did like those. Anything that couldn't catch the trailer on fire was OK with me. :)

    By Blogger Rachel, at 10:27 AM  

  • People were still shooting them off last night! In Ransom, guys would save them and shoot them off randomly throughout the year.

    I know you won't want to hear this ... but all the times your Dad caught stuff on fire are some of my funniest memories. I don't think I was there when the trailer caught on fire. Or at least I don't remember it. But I'm pretty sure he caught the field on fire at least twice.

    By Blogger Monica, at 12:39 PM  

  • You weren't there the time the trailer caught on fire. That was scary. Your mom trying to pull a 20-foot hose 40 feet is a funny memory, but I don't even want to talk about the buckets!

    By Blogger Rachel, at 1:34 PM  

  • Ahh...the memories...that now give us nightmares! I skipped the fireworks show here in Lawrence, but got a nice dose of patriotism from the city band at the concert in the park Wednesday night. Worked for me.

    By Blogger Diana, at 4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home