Central Hawk

Thursday, July 6

The One With Dave Mathews Band

Am I missing the boat here? I just got into an argument with someone at work about Dave Mathews Band, which he apparently loves. He was telling me that I couldn't compare Counting Crows to Dave Mathews because there was no comparison. I actually thought it was a good comparison for the argument that I was making and told him so.

Apparently, Dave Mathews is wildly popular. Did anyone else know this? He said that Dave Mathews sells four concerts in San Diego, then will sell out four in Los Angeles, then four at this place in Seattle that's just huge, etc. He said that he thought our kids would be going to Dave Mathews concert. I didn't even know that they had had a new song since I was in college. I've seen them in concert twice and I thought they were fine, but I wasn't incredibly impressed.

Am I missing something? Do the rest of you like Dave Mathews? Do you think they're some phenomenon that will last for decades like the Rolling Stones? Chris, you can feel free to respond, but I think I know what you're going to say. Remember going to see the Foo Fighters with Jason Pearce. :) But that just cements my friend's argument. There are a lot of Dave Mathews fanatics. What's going on here that I don't know about?

6 Comments:

  • Dave Matthews is one of the most overrated bands of my lifetime.

    By Blogger Ned Ryerson, at 10:04 PM  

  • I'm with Ned. But you will never convince a Dave Matthews fanatic of that.

    By Blogger Diana, at 4:28 AM  

  • Ned is right, and I even like some of their early stuff. Although after Crash, they have really sucked.

    Dave Matthews is about as safe and bland as you can get. Plain, vanilla frat rock with a multiracial lineup. Look Ma, he's from South Africa and has black members in his band - what a wonderful world we live in. It all seems a little orchestrated to me.

    By Blogger jason, at 6:18 AM  

  • I don't see the magic in them either. I do really like some early stuff. But people who love them REALLY love them. Go to every show they can, travel the whole country to see all the shows in a tour, basic fanatic/groupie stuff. Apparently it's the cool thing to do.

    Were you comparing their sound to the Crows or what? I don't about this be around for our kids to listen to. And I'm sorry, has anyone SEEN the Rolling Stones lately? They look like shit. But hey, rock on right?

    By Blogger Monica, at 12:07 PM  

  • During the Goo Goo Dolls concert, Ned said that they basically had to play Name, but a band like Counting Crows could not play a song like Round Here and get away with it because they had so many other songs. I was telling that to EJ and he was saying that the Counting Crows weren't that big. I don't know how we got to it, but I was comparing Dave Mathews' following with Counting Crows' following because I didn't think Dave Mathews was that much bigger than Counting Crows. I really honestly didn't know they had a hit song since Crash, which I really like. I didn't know they were still touring and had so many fans. I was really surprised. I know the Counting Crows have a smaller, more loyal following and they aren't for everyone, but I didn't realize the difference, I guess.

    Glad to hear that I'm not the only one missing the boat.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 1:18 PM  

  • You crack me up. I knew you'd have a good answer for me.

    But I completely forgot about the car alarm!! Levi DID have to disconnect the battery and we spent the next afternoon trying to figure it out, too. If I would have lived in your complex, I would have shot us.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home