Central Hawk

Sunday, August 6

The One With Muggsy and the Gang

In a never-ending quest to find a place to walk Muggsy, I might have gotten in a little over my head today. It's been too hot to take him to Yorba Linda, and it's too stressful to take him to the beach trail. But every day that I drive to my dog class in RPV, I notice this nice park in Torrance that always seems empty with this nice walking trail around it. So I decided to take Muggsy there. It still gets the beach breeze but not the beach traffic.

So I pull in and there are 15 guys of the same race, dressed exactly the same, sitting at a couple of tables in the park. I didn't really think much of it until I got out of my car and all 15 of them got up and walked toward me. I quickly opened the back door and got Muggsy out. They went back and sat down, and the two of us went on our walk.

When I later called my boss, she told me I should have called the police. I guess it's pretty standard for gangs to call something like a park their territory and try to intimidate people to leave when they come by. I guess that's why the park is so quiet... I've been living in cities so long that I sometimes forget how naive I can be. Guess it's a good thing I have a scary dog.

2 Comments:

  • Wow. This is craziness. Part of your initiation to life outside the midwest I suppose. I am really proud of you that you didn't let them intimidate you. I would have peed my pants and then got back in my wimpy Ford Focus and sped away. Of course, Theo is not near as intimidating as Muggsy. Although he thinks he is.

    By Blogger Monica, at 2:30 PM  

  • Had I not had Muggsy with me, I would have been out of there pretty quickly. But my need to show people that I can't be intimidated could get me in trouble some day...

    By Blogger Rachel, at 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home