Central Hawk

Wednesday, September 27

The One with the Yoga

So I've never done yoga before. I've run for years and done weight-training, cardio, Tae-Bo ... anything high energy. But never yoga or pilates. So when my office offered yoga over the lunch hour, I thought I'd try it out. Once I get over the giggles (remember how we used to do Abs of Steel with Denise Austin?), I really enjoy it. I am NOT flexible, and yoga highlights just how true that is. But it is very calming, so I think you should try it Rach. It might help destress you.

The funny part is the other people who do it with me. And the farting. But first, for the other people ...

There's a couple of older, heavier women who obviously have not attempted to touch their toes in quite some time. So they are entertaining. Hopefully it makes them feel better when I, the skinny girl who's 1/2 their age, also cannot touch my toes. But the funniest participant is the mountain man. He's easily over 6', 250 pounds. He's got a head of bushy hair and a big bushy beard. He wears maroon sweatpants that he has cut the ankles off of and a t-shirt, tucked in. And when we attempt to stand on one foot and pull the other knee up to our chest, he just CANNOT do it. He's flopping all over his purple yoga mat trying to stay afloat. And then the whole room loses their balance b/c the floor is shaking. It's hilarious.

Now for the farting. Yoga apparently helps aid in digestion, b/c I farted through the entire session. Here we are, listening to some weird Star Wars / Bambi music soundtrack, trying to focus on our breathing and I can't stop tooting! So instead of relaxing, I'm trying to clench my buttocks together to hold them in. Thank goodness they were not accompanied by sound.

Only I can turn something like yoga into a disaster. I'm whatever the opposite of Grace Kelly is. Maybe David can tell me ... he's been studying opposites at school.

4 Comments:

  • That's why I do yoga in the privacy of my bedroom :). But it does help relax me. And, yes, I can so do the position in the picture you included in your post. Piece of cake really.

    By Blogger Diana, at 7:57 PM  

  • Oh man! I'm impressed. I canNOT do that position. I do some weak, modified version!

    By Blogger Monica, at 11:06 AM  

  • Can you honestly see me in that position??! No...noo...noo...don't even think about it.

    By Blogger Diana, at 4:03 PM  

  • Yeah, when I read Pheobe's post, I knew that was sarcasm. I actually bought a yoga tape and tried to do it when I was in college. I just have to say that I am not the person capable of relaxing. I couldn't do any of the positions and it stressed me out!! :) So I don't do yoga anymore.

    Plus, I can't work out at my house. (And I will NOT be doing yoga in public.) When I try the dogs jump all over me and lick my neck and all sorts of things and our house isn't big enough that I can put them somewhere while I do it. So the only exercise I get is walking them...

    By Blogger Rachel, at 4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home