Central Hawk

Monday, May 23

The One With the Training Success

I thought today I'd share some fun training that I did -- training Chubbs to loose-leash walk. This can be a very hard task, as I had reinforced for me in a particularly hard training lesson with my boss two weeks ago. But that lesson gave me plenty of experience to tackle my own dogs. I spent 30 minutes taking Chubbs around the block, but he was really starting to get it! We don't get to go where I want to go unless I'm on a loose-leash. I was proud of his success in only a brief time. Of course, I have to keep working at it, but Chubbs is a fast learner. He still does a perfect come with little practice.

Muggsy's Training Diary, Day 9
May 23, 2005

Muggsy had a blowup last night before bed, growling at Robby when he came to close the door of his crate. I guess only I get to do that now because I went over there and Muggsy did just fine. Something about Robby in the dark, I think, just makes Muggsy nervous.

He has been doing well with the barking since my new method: acknowledging the barking and making it my responsibility. I read on a trainer's post, since I am on several training message groups, that with dogs who are bred to guard, you can acknowledge that they have alerted you, look at what he's barking at, thank him and have him shush. That works beautifully with Muggsy. He's now looking to me to solve some of his problems.

Today, we also worked on some vet training, but he seemed very nervous, so I kept it short where he could be successful. I put liver paste in the muzzle and let him lick out of it but I didn't fasten it since he seemed hesitant to put his head in. I fed him some beef jerky through the door, but he freaked out with the door opening more than a few inches, so I kept that session short as well. I may have been trying to move too fast with him because I'm so anxious to get him to the vet to find out if he is medically OK. So I'll try to slow it down a little and work every day.

But I'm proud of both my babies today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home