Central Hawk

Tuesday, June 21

The One With the Appointment

Today, I made an appointment to take Muggsy to the vet. It's a lot sooner than I wanted -- July 6 at 10 a.m. This isn't a regular vet; it's a behaviorist. That means I have to fill out an 18-page history about Muggsy, have his medical records sent and then have him evaluated. He'll be in the office for two and a half hours while we discuss treatment and have his blood drawn. The doctor is certified not only in animal medicene but animal behavior problems. They are supposedly the Ph.D. of dog trainers.

This means I have to have Muggsy reliably behind the door and I have to make three practice visits in the next two weeks. My boss said she was really amazed with my progress with him. She said that he clearly trusts me because he went behind the door in a muzzle, like practiced, with no hesitation when I told him to with a new person present. I didn't realize it until today, but she was really happy with my progress. She says I've made leaps and bounds.

But I'm terrified to take Muggsy to the vet. She asked me if that was because I didn't think he was ready or just because I was afraid and to think about it before I answered. I think a lot of it is my insecurity and my maternal instinct to protect him from things I know he'll be afraid of. I think he can do it, of course. He's very smart and a wonderful student. But he now looks to me to protect him and I want him to know that I will always do that. This visit also might mean expensive medications and a stricter training program. My boss is going with me to keep me calm, so that will be very helpful. I've missed a couple days of training because Monica's been in town, but I'm back at it tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home