Central Hawk

Friday, June 10

The One With the Training

Boy, there are a lot of ways to spend money. I have several dog books and videos I want to buy and no money. But an even better way to spend money -- or should I say irresistable -- is dog training seminars. I'm going to a Pia Silvani seminar this weekend, where I'm going to learn about dog-dog aggression and puppy classes. These seminars seem to have one heavy day and one light day. That was the way Dunbar was, too. I'm very interested in the topic of dog-dog aggression because she will talk about sibling rivalry, which is a big issue in my house. Muggsy attacks Chubbs when he's frustrated, excited, annoyed... You name it. Chubbs instigates it, of course, but it's still a topic I'd like to learn more about. How to start and run your own puppy class will be more fun. It's something I can't do with my current boss because you can't have puppy classes in a pet store because of all the possible germs and stuff, but when I have my own businesses, I want to do a couple levels of puppy classes. So this will be interesting.

In October, Sue Sternberg, who is an expert on aggression, is having a two-day seminar in L.A. that I have already signed up for. I just found out today, though, that John Rogerson is doing a four day seminar in Long Beach the day after Sue Sternberg. I don't have any money on my credit card right now, but I have to see John. After Dunbar, he's the next best must-see. I think I could learn a lot from seeing him. So I'll have to figure out a way to make that happen, though I'm sure Joanna won't be happy that I'll need more days off. Oh well. Just one of those things.

Continuing on the topic of dog training, I was feeling a little better today, so I'm back at my own training project -- Muggsy.

Muggsy's Training Diary, Day 25
June 10, 2005

Muggsy attacked Chubbs again today, but it wasn't as vicious because we were outside and Chubbs had room to run. We were out in the yard playing and Ross got home, and I think Muggsy was just over-stimulated by all the excitement. I'm sure Chubbs was bullying him as well. He tends to hump Muggsy when his mommy and daddy get home.

Muggsy did well with muzzle and Door! He hestitated to come into the bedroom when I picked up the muzzle and squeezy liver. I guess that's his new stall tactic. However, once in the room, I sat where he couldn't really get past me and got the muzzle on in a pretty short time. I only kept it on for a couple of minutes so he starts to realize that this is not that bad. Door! has changed to have Ross standing in front of the door with the lease and treats while I stand behind Muggsy and pick up his leg a few times and put a fork on it. My boss said he should get used to having metal on his back leg, so that was the best I could come up with.

The progress is very slow, but it's happening. I just have to get him ready by mid-July. The sooner the better, of course.

2 Comments:

  • So how much do these trainings cost? You never know, you might not be working for Joanna by October! I am so impressed by how well Mugsy is doing. Nice going. Have you found an a/c yet?

    By Blogger Diana, at 2:36 PM  

  • Found one, yes. Ordered one, no. No money on my card yet. But I'll get to it.

    Training seminars average $100 per day, so a four-day session can be $400-$450. Pretty expensive. But what you can learn is great.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home