Central Hawk

Sunday, June 5

The One With the BFF

Today, I saw on E!, which I never watch but I wasn't feeling good today, that in real life Courtney Cox and Jennifer Aniston are best friends. Isn't that cute? And I got a call from Monica so that was very cool. She sent me a pair of new shoes, which I actually think are cute. I'm going to wear them tomorrow with the purple skirt she bought me for my birthday.



Muggsy's Training Diary, Day 20
June 5, 2005

I'm not sure it's Day 20, but I missed a few days and now I can't remember. So we're calling it Day 20.

Again, trouble with the muzzle. This time, the ignoring wasn't working, so I got a little more pushy. He never tried to bite me and we got the muzzle on after 15 minutes or so. I took it off pretty quickly without making him roam the house in hopes that it would ease his mind a little.

I upped the ante on Door!, having Robby hold the leash and feed the treats through the door while I handled Muggsy's leg. This was less than successful as he didn't want to stand up when the door was closed. With the door partially open, though, he would let me handle him, no problem. Of course, it's me and not a vet. But I guess that's progress. I think I'm going to use dinner time as an opportunity to teach stand on command. Dr. Ian Dunbar, dog trainer extraordinare, says all dogs should have a stand command, but no one ever includes in their training guides how to teach that. That's why I have my boss though. Maybe she'll know.



Job Search 2005

I applied for seven jobs today. Most of them were writing and editing jobs at big companies, doing things like writing manuels or technical documents or researching products and writing catalogs. I also applied for a position at a regional magazine and creating newsletters for a non-profit agency. I guess we'll see what happens.

My boss said I could come in at noon tomorrow, which is very appealing to me, but I decided not to because I don't want to "owe her." I think I'll just work my regular hours so she doesn't have things to throw back in my face later. I absolutely hate it when people do that. If you're only doing it so I'll owe you, don't offer it. I spent my whole life dealing with that from my dad, and I can't handle it. I don't owe you because you did something in kindness, so don't throw it back in my face. If you do, I won't take you up on that kindness next time, thank you very much.

3 Comments:

  • Yeah! She's wearing the shoes! I hope they don't hurt her feet ...

    By Blogger Monica, at 11:55 PM  

  • They actually make me nervous because there's no straps around my ankles holding them on. I think I might trip. But they're cute.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 9:04 AM  

  • One of my favorite essays by Emerson says:

    But our tokens of compliment and love are for the most part barbarous. Rings and other jewels are not gifts, but apologies for gifts. The only gift is a portion of thyself. Thou must bleed for me. Therefore the poet brings his poem; the shepherd, his lamb; the farmer, corn; the miner, a gem; the sailor, coral and shells; the painter, his picture; the girl, a handkerchief of her own sewing. This is right and pleasing, for it restores society in so far to the primary basis, when a man’s biography is conveyed in his gift, and every man’s wealth is an index of his merit. But it is a cold, lifeless business when you go to the shops to buy me something, which does not represent your life and talent, but a goldsmith’s. This is fit for kings, and rich men who represent kings, and a false state of property, to make presents of gold and silver stuffs, as a kind of symbolical sin-offering, or payment of blackmail.

    You can read the rest of it at http://www.bartleby.com/109/8.html

    I've always believed in this, but have at times had trouble doing it.

    By Blogger Diana, at 6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home