Central Hawk

Thursday, July 28

The One With Sophie's Choice

I have spent the last 24 hours trying to decide if I should send Chubbs to stay with his grandmother for a few weeks while Muggsy gets another blood draw and is experimented on in terms of medicene. Right now, as you all know, they can't be in the same room together because of the severity of the last attack. It's been very hard.

My boss thought I should do it because it would be less stressful for me, leaving me more energy to devote to Muggsy. She didn't seem to think it would be a problem to reintroduce them as long as I didn't make it too great for Muggsy to be King of the House again. However, Monica presented the good point that if Chubbs gets run out of the house because Muggsy is pissed, it's like Muggsy is winning. How will that help the attacks go away?

On one hand, I think that Muggsy feels crappy enough that if Chubbs is stressing him out, it might be best to just get him out of his hair. He's having health problems and everything else. Why contribute to the problem? On the other hand, Muggsy needs to learn that no matter what, Chubbs is a part of his life and he needs to learn to deal with his stress in ways other than attacking Chubbs.

I feel like I have to choose between my two children. Which do I love more?

In the end, the thought of sending away Chubbs is too much to handle. I love coming home and seeing Chubbs wagging his tail at me so hard that his butt shakes. I love having him sniff the sink when I'm brushing my teeth because he loves the smell of soap. I love it when he comes running at me full blast with the happy, I'm-going-to-get-a-treat look on his face. I even love how calmly he lies in his crate so Muggsy can get some time out in the living room. I take him with me to dog training, so his life isn't all bad.

It's not the best solution, but maybe Muggsy will respond well to the medicene and all will be fine again. Maybe I should start making Muggsy wear his muzzle more so that he understands that when he attacks Chubbs, he doesn't get his way but has to be punished a little. Plus, it's an awful lot of hassle to get Chubbs back and forth to Kansas. :) Plus, if Muggsy does have a hard time with the medicene, I can always send Chubbs to Grandma's then. But I'm going to give Muggsy a chance to work it out. I don't want to send Chubbs away permanently, so I don't want Muggsy to think that's an option.

Hope it all works out for the best.

2 Comments:

  • I'm concerned for the dogs well-being, but of course I'm most concerned for your well-being. You have no reason to feel guilty or unworthy. It's not your fault Mugsy has these problems. It just fell to you to give him the best chance possible. Whatever you do, whether it's sending Chubbs to a loving grandmother or keeping him there, it is not a failure, but a proactive step of doing what it takes to accomplish your goal. You know what's right for them. I just hope you take care of yourself, too.

    By Blogger Diana, at 8:09 PM  

  • Yeah, taking care of myself seems to be the biggest struggle. But I do the best I can. Thanks for your support.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home