Central Hawk

Tuesday, October 25

The One With A Little Bit of Sports Talk

I'm usually pretty far behind on my sports news because I'm so busy, but I started watching SportsCenter in the mornings during breakfast, and I caught some football while making some relaxation time for myself this weekend. I have just a couple of thoughts.

I feel sorry for Astros closer, Lidge. Everyone's making it sound like he alone cost the Astros the game against the White Sox and the loss in the NLCS, but come on, it's a team sport. If the defense would have held the opposition to fewer points earlier in the game or the offense had scored more runs, those homeruns wouldn't have mattered. I realize that he made a mistake, but to put it all on his shoulders is a little dramatic.

I also feel sorry for Brett Favre. The poor guy is just trying to play out his career because he loves the game, and his team is terrible. Not only did he lose his top receiver for the season but he just lost his running back for the season as well. If this is his last season, what a sucky way to go out.

God really has a sense of humor, doesn't he? He told me, OK, I'll get you out of Texas, but for the first two years that you live there, I'm going to make Texas one of the top teams in the country and bring all those Texans to your town to watch the Rose Bowl. Very funny, God. I'm laughing. Really.

This isn't sports, but I also saw on the ticker that Rosa Parks died today. I wonder if she got to see a world that she was proud to live in. I know that it's much improved since she was younger and refused to give up her seat on the bus, but how far have we really come? Especially if she lived in the South her whole life, I'm sure she still dealt with a good deal of racism. I saw quite a bit of it in Texas.

This also isn't sports, but it's related because it deals with too much testosterone. Why do men think they're so cool when they show off their cars? I just realized that this story isn't going to make sense to people who haven't driven in Southern California without a little background. When you get on the access roads to get on the freeway, in So. Cal., we have lights and only one car can get on the freeway at a time. So I'm right behind this guy in a brand new Lexus who decides that when it's his turn he's going to burn rubber, swerve a little and take off. Did this make him more attractive to me? Um, no. Did I suddenly have an uncontrollable urge to sleep with him? Definitely not. I mean, really, guys, you're not impressing us. Just drive, please.

2 Comments:

  • I'll tell you what lost it for the Astros ... the dome was open! They were only 4 games over .500 with the dome open (I know this b/c baseball has a ridiculous amount of statistics and the announcers had nothing else to talk about at the time.) It is my personal feeling that the dome issue should have been decided by the Astros, NOT the MLB. Apparently, during the NL Championship series, the Astros got to make the call and now during the World Series, MLB gets to make it. It's all part of the home field advantage. Just like the Astros freezing their ass off in Chicago is part of Chicago's home field advantage. I don't like the Sox, so I'm rooting for the Astros, but they're starting to make it really hard. They had bases loaded in the ninth and left them all stranded. Is that the closer's fault? No.

    And wow about Rosa Parks. I hope she was proud of the world she was leaving behind. Things have changed a lot, but I think we still have a long way to come. Hopefully all races are becoming respected as equals, but I think we can definitely progress in our understanding of other cultures within our country. America is rare in that it's such a large country with such a diverse people. We should take advantage of the learning opportunity more often.

    By Blogger Monica, at 12:47 PM  

  • That's funny. I didn't know about the Dome issue. That's certainly to blame. :) I'm cheering for the White Sox, of course, because of Mindy. But don't go getting jealous. If the Braves were in it, I'd cheer for them.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home