Central Hawk

Monday, October 31

The One With the Two-Year Anniversary

Some time last week, Robby and I celebrated our two-year anniversary. We're not really clear on what the day is -- could be the first time we talked about dating, the first date, the first time we spent the night together (not slept together, though, so get your mind out of the gutter -- my mom reads this, after all :). All of these things happened the last week of October two years ago. So we celebrate it the last Saturday of the month.

This year, I was sick, and leave it to Texas to ruin my anniversary dinner. We had 6 p.m. reservations at this Brazilian steakhouse I really like. Texas is playing Oklahoma State. It starts at 4. This is the worst team in the Big 12, so it should be well over by 6. Nope. At 6, I've called to have the reservation pushed back to 8 and I'm sitting on the couch eating cereal next to the poutiest guy in California. Great. Of course Texas came back and won. Everyone knew they were going to, except the guy sitting next to me, who was grouchy even after they won because it might affect their standing in the BCS poll. But once I reminded him that there were more important things in life than football, he finally calmed down so we could enjoy the evening.

Though I missed it because I was working an all-day event, another great thing happened on Saturday -- Kansas beat Missouri yet again. It shouldn't be a surprise. We own them. But it's so strange to me that a team with an offense as bad as Kansas' could outscore an offense run by Brad Smith. I was flooded with text messages from my friends at the game. You gotta love a good win over your archrival. Good times. My junior-year roommate just sent me the funniest picture that her friend took at the game of the back of the person's shirt who was sitting in front of him. It said, "A boy walked into kindergarten wearing a KU hat. His teacher said, "Why do you like KU?" The little boy said, "Because my parents do." (Boy, Mon, our kids are going to be so confused. :) The teacher said, "That's not a good reason. What if your parents were hookers and drug dealers?" And the kid said, "Then, I'd be a Missouri fan." Good stuff. Gotta get my hands on one of those shirts, though no one would really get it in Cali.

By the way, I had a good Dad memory this weekend. I've been really depressed about him the last week as you all know because we've discussed it, but I spent all weekend trying to remember a happy childhood moment with him in it and came up with this one. Remember, Mon, Mandy and Goldie? We saw these two stuffed Golden retrievers at the store and we really wanted them, but they were $12 each, a lot for our families at the time. Then, when we got home, my dad said, "Girls, I want you to carry in these bags," and he handed us each a shopping bag with a stuffed Golden retriever in it. Mandy and Goldie. That was a really sweet surprise.

2 Comments:

  • Happy 2 year anniversary ... to the girl who doesn't celebrate anniversaries ... at least not on a monthly basis. :) I hope you guys had a great time!!!

    I do remember that, and I still have Mandy. That was really sweet.

    By Blogger Monica, at 3:20 PM  

  • I am so glad you have a happy dad memory. Cling to it as you let the other ones go.

    By Blogger Diana, at 8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home