Central Hawk

Tuesday, November 1

The One with All the Excess

Is it you or your parents in this income tax bracket?
Excess ain't rebellion.
You're drinking what they're selling.
Your self-destruction doesn't hurt them.
Your chaos won't convert them.
They're so happy to rebuild it.
You'll never really kill it.
~ From "Rock 'n' Roll Lifestyle" by CAKE
On Friday, Jeremy and I went to a CAKE concert in Kirksville, MO. It was a great show, and actually worth the three hour drive. Actually, a CAKE concert was one of our first dates! So they hold a special place in our music collection. :)
But that's not the subject of this post. I was just reminded of this song when watching Dr. Phil last night. (And it also speaks to a conversation Rach and I recently had.)
So last night, Dr. Phil had on parents who spoil their children. It was like a bad car accident, I just couldn't stop watching. First up was this adorable mom who looked like a fashion model. She had two very cute little boys, ages 1 and 3. Their house looked like a friggin' Toys R Us. For the youngest's first birthday party, they had pony rides, one of those air bouncy jumpy things and it was CATERED. Next up was a 13-year-old who could cajole any and everything out of his guilt-ridden mother. Guitars, X-box, Playstation, TV's, stereos ... you get the picture. Why did his mother feel guilty? B/c she was unable to have more children. And finally, we have the 21-year-old college student. Her parents paid for everything, college, rent, utilities, cell phone, etc. She did have a job to support her shopping habit, but she didn't know how to balance her checkbook and kept maxxing out her credit card. Her mom thought she was level-headed and ready for the real world, when she would supposedly be cut off. (Did they go to the zoo? Supposably.)
What was interesting to me was the following:
  1. I always wondered how the rich kids we went to college with wound up that way. Watching this show made me understand.
  2. None of these parents thought their kids were out of control or spoiled. Several described their children as responsible, good kids who were level-headed. Total denial. These kids were brats, some even self-admitted.
  3. I thought Dr. Phil's response was weak. Usually he's pretty clear-0cut, to the point, doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy about your "bad" habits. I was a little disappointed.

Obviously, everyone wants to give their kids the best that they can. They love their children and they want their kids to have what they probably couldn't as a child. But is that what's best? Do you want your kids to love you because you hand it out every time they ask? And then they grow up without a thought as to others' situations. You know, the fact that there are really poor people in this country. Or that some kids actually pay their way through college. I just had a sick feeling in my chest watching the show. It completely disgusted me. I'm trying not to judge, b/c I know that every parent has different limits and different methods. But people, look beyond yourself! Are you really fulfilling your child's needs? Or your own? I think the latter.

I'm NOT saying I am a perfect parent, or even that I'm not materialistic, b/c I definitely can be. I like to have nice things. I like to look around my home and be comfortable. I like to buy David the things he needs and those he just wants. Hopefully the difference is I know to say "no" now and then. I go through his things and give them away when he's not playing with them anymore. I don't believe every room in the house needs a television.

Are these people completely oblivious to the world around them? Even just the country around them. There are very, very poor people living very crummy existences, probably a couple of miles, if not blocks, away from you. Could you not take some of your excess wealth and share it with those less fortunate? You know, not all of them are drunks or drug addicts. And maybe you would be a drunk to if you lived that life. Or if you're so guilt-ridden by your inability to have children, which BTW I think is ridiculous, then ADOPT! There are a ton of kids who would love to be loved by you.

Alright, I need to end this bitch session. I was just very frustrated by that show and hit with the reality that very rich or very poor is becoming the norm. It's a vicious cycle. What happened to middle class?

5 Comments:

  • I couldn't agree with you more. It amazes me how people can be so self-involved that they can't see how there are others around them suffering who could use their help, even if just a little.

    I grew up with a parent who thought he could give gifts to make up for the lack of love and I can tell you that the only thing I have that my dad has given me (besides my washer and dryer, which I need) is a letter that he wrote me the only time he told me that he was proud of me and a card he gave me for a recent birthday, which consisted of the nicest thing he'd ever said to me. These kids would be better off learning their parents virtues and learning what to do when they can't have what they want -- deal with it, work for it, whatever. I was poor and have had to work for everything I have -- college education, home, cars. It makes me appreciate everything I have. A parent's job is too teach their children what's important and make sure all their needs are met, not all their wants. But you all know that I'm whatever the opposite of materialistic is. I'd still have my 18-inch TV from the 80s if I didn't live with Ross. :)

    I think parents get very self-involved once they have children. They become completely oblivious to how their brats are affecting everyone else. They suddenly can't hear the screams that are making everyone leave their aisle in the supermarket. I never got an apology from the woman whose two children screamed an ENTIRE three-hour flight. It's like they suddenly can't see faults in their children. I'm not saying all mothers are like this because I know two wonderful mothers, but I guess what I'm saying is that self-involved, shallow people don't change when they have kids -- they just apply it to their lives with kids.

    You're right. It's sad. But it won't ever change.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 3:44 PM  

  • You're absolutely right about the middle class thing. And if you look at history, democracy lies within the middle class - it's the polarization of the rich and poor that destroys it. About parenting, I was really worried when Rachel was little about her being spoiled by live in grandparents. Her doctor at the time, who was my doctor growing up - a very smart guy, said that you spoil a child when you do things for them because it is convenient for you or it shuts them up, or somehow serves your purpose. When you do things for your child out of love, it's not spoiling. I'm not claiming to be a perfect parent either, I know better than that!, but I think that's a pretty good rule.

    By Blogger Diana, at 3:30 AM  

  • That is one wise man. I like that statement. It seems to be very true.

    By Blogger Monica, at 8:51 AM  

  • Dr. Randy?

    By Blogger Rachel, at 3:01 PM  

  • No, his name was Dr. Shears. I'm sure you don't remember him - we were banned from the clinic where he worked after a certain person in our family got into a fight with another doctor from that clinic over something really stupid. I called him a couple of times after that at home though, and he came to the emergency room after I got hurt at work to see if I was okay. He was (is) a nice man.

    By Blogger Diana, at 8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home