Central Hawk

Thursday, May 26

The One With Day 11

Muggsy's Training Diary, Day 11
May 25, 2005

Yesterday, I learned something I was doing wrong while training Muggsy. I'm not supposed to back off when he gets stressed. He's learning that he can get out of doing things. So, even though he was hesitant to put on the muzzle, I put it on him. He wore it for a couple of minutes and left the bedroom with it on for the first time. With Door!, I was able to get him all the way against the wall with the door all the way up against him. He took treats, but once I stopped treating, he freaked out. I shouldn't have kept the door closed that long probably, but I wanted him to get used to it. Then, he wouldn't go back behind the door. But I didn't want to finish on that note, so I finally got him back there with treats, gave him a quick session with the door almost touching him and then let him finish. Tonight, I will try a little longer since I don't have dog class because of Memorial Day weekend. I'm observing my boss in three aggression evals this weekend, so that will be good experience.

I also hope to get back out with Chubbs again tonight to do some more loose-leash walking. And I watched a tape on TTouch. I'm going to try it with Muggsy again because I wasn't doing it exactly right before. I hope it helps him relax.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home