Central Hawk

Sunday, May 29

The One With Day 14

Muggsy's Training Diary, Day 14
May 28, 2005

I told you last night would be crucial in the training because Muggsy would be a little afraid after the amount of progress we made Friday. It was. He refused to put on the muzzle at first, although he didn't seem scared in his old way. He wasn't backing away and glaring at me. He was wagging his tail and play-bowing as if it were a game to figure out how he could get the liver paste without putting his face in the muzzle. I was patient and didn't let him out of it, like my boss said, and he finally put his face in the muzzle. I again left it on for several minutes and let him relax in the living room with it on. He didn't really relax, but I pretended not to pay attention to him for awhile. He needs to be able to have it on for a half-hour that includes a drive and vet visit. I only have him at five minutes. So I have some work to do.

I had him behind the door again, and he clearly doesn't like that. He tried to bolt several times, and this also required patience. He wouldn't take treats, so I just had to hold the leash and leave him back there. But even in his nervousness, I was able to use the Look command and he looked at me instead of trying to run. It was good progress, I thought, and I let him out of the "bad place."

Today, he's going to get a bath, a walk and more training. Maybe I'll even take them for a ride in my new car. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home