Central Hawk

Friday, June 3

The One with the Worst Birthday Party EVER

Long time no blog, right? Let me try to catch up with one or two decent ones. I'm no writer that's for sure! And I don't really think you want me to do math on this, right?

Ok, so here's my story: Recently, a good friend of mine turned 27. We'll call this friend "Janice" since Rachel doesn't like her. So Janice was pretty tramatized about this big birthday, that's right ... number 27. But she still planned an outing. Dinner with the girls and then meet everyone out on the Plaza. So we met about six girls out for dinner, myself, another good friend of hers and some girls she works with. Dinner was going well, until one girl didn't show up. This started the bitching and moaning. Now, granted, the girl didn't have a very good excuse. Something like she fell asleep or her cat was sick, but still ... it's not like it's her best friend. And to give the girl props, eventually she showed up. I thought dinner was pretty good, good conversation, good food, the chocolate martini's were flowing ... Janice had 3. The waiter was hot and turns out I knew him! I had taught him back in college, and so I invited him to come out with us later.

On to the bar, and Janice is whining that no one is going to show up, she's never going to meet anyone, her eggs are rotting, etc. One guy she works with shows. We go play pool, this old manager we used to work with hits on her. He's with a girl 10 years younger than him. He's gross.

Suddenly, Janice disappears. The other girl (Kelly) and I wrap up the pool and head back into the other room to see what's going on ... oh, Guy has shown up. That's the name of the guy she likes, Guy. Let's just stop and consider what kind of name that is. Who names their child Guy? Is it like Guy potato chips? Could they not think of a name until he was a teenager and they could refer to him as a guy? I don't get it (not that I'm one to talk about names, but you'll see that I don't like this dude). Now let's talk about what this guy is like. First of all, he's a manger where she works. Probably in his late 30's, starting to thin a little, starting to get a little belly. Pretty much reminds me of the last guy she went out with. How did that end? With him dumping her for a trophy girl he eventually married. Um, where was I? Let's just say I'm not a fan. He and I have already been in one little incident, and I think he's a smooth-talking low-life jackass.

She's mad b/c he's not talking to her. Then she says "Hey aren't you going to say happy birthday?" They have a conversation. He's there for about 30 minutes, then he leaves with another manager to meet some clients who are in from out of town. This is when the crying begins. Oh, have I not mentioned the other girls that are there? That's b/c they SUCK. They sat there like bumps on a log drinking their Miller Lite. Hello? Do I have to keep this sad little party going all by myself? Anyway, once he leaves, the bumps start leaving. Janice starts bawling and says she wants to go home. So ... I did some yelling. Good thing she was drunk and doesn't remember me yelling at her: first that, hello! all these people came out to show you a good time on your b-day and all you care about is that some jackass left? A little insulting! And then I yelled wouldn't you rather know now that he's a jackass as opposed to 3 months from now after you've slept with him ... and to BE LOGICAL! I had no sympathy. So we're sitting out on the curb, she's cyring, I'm yelling. Suddenly she leaves with this sad, naive little girl she works with. I'm so busy being sassy I don't notice till she's all the way up the street. Kelly and I half-heartedly went after her, but she was already on her way home. We try calling her, she just wants to go home. It's 10:30. So we went out by ourselves.

So the moral of the story is don't drink while taking narcotics. I found out the next day that she's on something for ADD that I can't pronounce, let alone spell. I was all prepared to still be hopping mad at her, but she was sane and normal the next day, admitting she acted irrationally and swearing off alcohol and men. That lasted aobut a day. Oh well.

I do hate it that she can't find a man to be happy with. I do hate it that she's depressed. I do not think her eggs have rotted, but what do I know?

6 Comments:

  • Well, I have to comment on my own blog. After writing the whole thing down, I promptly felt really guilty for being such a bitch. I do have to add though that she was so sure that her birthday was going to suck, and I almost feel like she just made sure it did. What do you think Rachel?

    By Blogger Monica, at 9:29 AM  

  • Do you really want to know what I think? I don't think you do, but here it is anyway. I HATE it when women get so upset about getting older and single. Lots of women don't find their special someone until they are in their 30s, 40s, whatever. Is it really worth stressing about? Is this the only thing we live for? We just live to find a man and start popping out babies. Oh my God, is this not the 21st century? Eggs rotting at 27? Can I tell you how stupid Janice is? She doesn't deserve her eggs if she just wants to reproduce with any low-life who will give her the time of day. Grr. She needs some self-esteem. The problem is: no one can do that for her. She has to do it for herself. And she has to do that by taking control of her own life. She can't sit around feeling helpless, waiting for some man to come along and fix her life? What's wrong with her? What's wrong with her life? Now, how does she fix that? How does she take it upon herself to make these things better? Fine, so the thing that's wrong with her life is that she has no one to share it with. What's she doing to fix that? Is she getting out there and meeting new people? Has she tried joining some clubs or singles groups? There are lots of organized activities for young professionals. I joined a couple in Dallas when I was single. I didn't meet anyone, but I got out there instead of sitting at home feeling sorry for myself. She just needs to get out there and feel like she's doing something. I hate it when people complain about their lives but don't do anything to fix them. You are not powerless. You are not helpless. Fix it. I completely understand the need to cry and complain, but I happen to know that Janice does this all the time instead of focusing on the positives and taking some action to improve her situation. That pisses me off. 27 is not old. Don't go out and get 30 cats yet. Geez. You had every right to be annoyed, but no one is going to listen to you. I get this from my other best friend sometimes. But you have someone. You don't understand. So save your breath about that issue. Just point out the good things about her life and suggest to her that she get out there and enjoy life.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 10:16 PM  

  • THANK YOU!!!!! Good lord, someone with some freakin' common sense. And you are absolutely right, I have NO creditability b/c I've already been "snatched up" (what is this? 1935?). So after the wee bit of yelling, I went back to being the understanding, reaffirming friend. I would like to think that if I found myself single or if I had not gotten married at the ripe old age of 20, I would be living it up right now, doing whatever I damned well-pleased and not really giving a shit if I had a man or not. Now that's probably not what would happen ("Why doesn't Sam love me Rachel? Do you think he thought I was stalking him when I called 6 times? Should I back off ... or send him a dozen roses?") ... but it sure does sound good! ;) I was just waiting for you to weigh in on this one, b/c I KNEW it would be good!

    By Blogger Monica, at 11:53 PM  

  • I know. I'm "snatched up," too, so it's hard for people to take me seriously when I give advice. My other best friend, we'll call her Mindy, is always asking me for advice and how I found someone. I always tell her, you know, I went after him. I liked him, we talked about it, we didn't play any games. I sucked it up and talked to him. That's hard to do, but I don't think you should sit around waiting for things to happen to you. I think you make things happen. And I've been single after bad breakups. I've been alone. And I can't ever remember thinking, "Oh no, my eggs are going to dry up." I remember thinking, "Oh well. If I am single forever, I'll have a great job and great dogs and I'll do volunteer work and make friends and do things that make me happy. But I have years to find someone." I have friends who already know that if they don't find someone, they're going to adopt a mandarin baby.

    The point is that once you take control of your own life and realize that you're controlling what's happening to it, you're more empowered and confident. You put yourself out there more and go out to meet people. AND guys are attracted to confident women. No one wants a girl who's constantly going to be whining and putting herself down. Forget it.

    She's just doing this to herself and that annoys me about women. Time to get off the soap box now. :)

    By Blogger Rachel, at 9:21 AM  

  • I completely agree. The thing that probably drives me the most nuts (grammer check please) is that she's always like "Why do these awful things always happen to me? Do you think God is punishing me?" and blaming her quality on life on God or fate or whatnot. I think this is ridiculous. Life is about playing the hand your dealt. Taking what you have and rolling with it. We could all sit around and whine about how we're not rich, famous, etc. But being rich and famous or having a man doesn't make you happy. And as for God punishing you ... I'm sorry I just don't believe that's how God works. He's not a petty guy. He's not like "you cursed my name last week and now I will make you barren ... ah-ha-ha-ha." Um, no. He's a loving God who sees the entirity of our life, not just this single moment in time. I always bring up Doug and how I don't think that Doug did anything awful enough to deserve the punishment of brain cancer and brain surgery TWICE. Let's be logical now. That's just not how it works. It's not that I don't think He's a just God but He's not a micromanager like some folks we know! :) Man, this is a hot topic for us. We could have a whole site devoted to the topic!

    By Blogger Monica, at 12:19 PM  

  • We could have a whole site devoted to this. But I agree with you. I don't think God is sitting up there with a scoreboard saying, "Gee, Janice has committed 17 sins this week and I have only done 13 bad things to her." Does she really think she has lived such a bad life that she deserves to be punished? If so, what is she going to do to change it? It all goes back to taking the hand that you're dealt and making the best of it. Take action. Don't sit around and whine and wait for God to make it better. Pray for the strength to make the right decisions. Don't expect God to do it for you. Ask him to give you the tools to make the best of what you have. Just my opinion.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home