Central Hawk

Friday, July 8

The One With the Catchup

I know, I know, I've slacked off on blogging. I admit it. I've received some e-mails wanting to know how Muggsy's vet appointment and my job interview went Wednesday. I think anyone who cares already knows but here are some brief updates.

Muggsy: Muggsy was not able to get blood taken at the appointment, which was pretty much the point. The behaviorist said she usually does not recommend medication, but in this case, it seems we have done all we can do and need something to help us get over the hump. He'll be put on Paxil, and SSRI which increases seratonin production in the brain, something I should probably be on, too. :) But this is not until after he can get his blood taken, which will be after a few more weeks of practice. He did Door! well, but he could not calm down once the vet touched his leg with the needle. At one point, he freaked out so much that he broke free of his muzzle and collar. So here's an Akita running loose through the room with a vet trying to get the hell out of the way, me trying to grab him and my boss trying to get his collar on, but not wanting to get too close because he might bite. The good news is that he could have bitten and didn't. I was able to get the collar and even the muzzle back on without incident. But I now have to practice with three people: one holding the leash, one holding the leg and one sticking with the fake needle. It has to be as many different people as possible. Unfortunately, I don't know many people. I do have three volunteers and am looking for more. Training is not easy.

Job: It's hard to say. You really never know how a job interview goes. You can think everyone loved you and not get the job or you can think it didn't go well and get the job. I thought it went well. I was myself and answered all the questions honestly, except why do you want to leave your job. I made it sound like I loved the industry and just wanted to find a job in Orange County so I can move and cut back Ross' commute. If I'm what they're looking for, I guess I'll get a second interview. If not, I won't. I should hear about the second interview in a couple of weeks. The process is long at a public agency. It took six months to hire me at my current job!



Muggsy's Training Diary, Day 53
July 8, 2005

Training has changed a little. I haven't yet started the advanced Door! training, but I have started holding Muggsy's leg so he gets familiar with that feeling. I'm also teaching targeting, which was suggested by the behaviorist. This means that Muggsy will touch my hand on the command, "Touch." I move the hand around and he seeks it to touch. This gives him something active to do when he's anxious instead of just sit and look at me. The problem is that teaching it requires you getting the dog to offer the behavior. In our first session, I couldn't get Muggsy to offer the behavior more than once every few minutes. I'm going to have to find a tactic that works. I couldn't get Fenway to offer it either during her training.

The Nothing In Life Is Free program has been instituted. This means all dogs have to work for all attention. If they want to be petted, they have to sit, down, shake or some other behavior first. Before they get their food, they have to perform a behavior. Before playing, they have to offer a behavior. The hardest part is getting Ross to do it, too. But it helps establish a hierarchy where the dogs defer to the humans.

These training diaries will get a lot more interesting this weekend. I have taken a couple days off from training, but it will start to get interesting now. Stay tuned for many more training posts.

2 Comments:

  • So what kind of behavior are you trying to get Ross to do? :)

    By Blogger Diana, at 1:37 PM  

  • Well, I need Ross to participate in the training. He always forgets the things I teach him and continues to pay attention to the dogs when they whine, paw him or otherwise beg for attention. No matter how many times I tell him that acknowledging them in any way, including yelling, is rewarding the behavior, he continues to do it. If only he'd listen for freeze-dried liver... :)

    By Blogger Rachel, at 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home