Central Hawk

Sunday, August 7

The One With the Epiphany

I haven't posted in awhile, so I do have a few things to say. I'll try to keep it brief, but I do have quite a bit of Grandma in me, so we'll see.

  • I had an epiphany a couple of weeks ago that has made work much better for me -- I don't care! What it boils down to is that I really like who I am. I am a good person who cares about the things that are important -- my family and friends. So what if that means my dogs? So what if I'm interested in sports instead of shopping? I like who I am. I like that I'm not shallow and that I don't give everything I have to my job. So I've decided not to let all the people who usually get me down hurt me anymore. It's only hurting me that I care so much what other people think. I like me. That's it.
  • I found out that the job I interviewed for has postponed its hiring for awhile. I found this out because a woman who used to work with me and left because of my boss and her boss knew the guy who is hiring really well and called to recommend me. He told her that because he was impressed with me and was grateful for her recommendation that I would get a third interview when the time comes. I found that out last week. Sorry I haven't mentioned it, if I haven't (can't remember), but I've been preoccupied with Muggsy.
  • Muggsy got his blood draw Friday night for the thyroid panel redo. He did very well, considering that he freaked out and peed and pooed on himself. But he bounced back incredibly and my boss told me that a dog who needed to be euthanized would hold a grudge against me while he wags his tail at me after it's over. She said that indicates that he understands I'm just trying to help him and that he trusts me. He wasn't mean when he got home and never had a meltdown like last time!! I know it's a small victory, but that means that he's capable of improvement. I'm proud. I should get the results of the blood panel in a week or so.
  • In training news, I allowed Muggsy and Chubbs to be in the same room again. Muggsy attacked Chubbs, but I'm trying my boss' abandonment training, and it may have worked. When Muggsy attacks, I cuss and yell, storm out and drive away. I certainly scared Ross!! But Muggsy didn't attack again today and even offered Chubbs a beautiful play bow. Of course, Chubbs was too scared to play and retreated to his crate. I think that's just fine.
  • My dog classes are going great. I really love all of my classes this time around. Everyone seems so eager to learn and take my advice. I'm due for a bad class soon, but I'll just enjoy this while I have it. In my boss' class, I even got through to a woman with a reactive German Shepard Dog. She couldn't get him to walk loosely on a leash and kept yelling at him. I took the leash from her and walked the dog back to the store from our field trip without him pulling. She then sheepishly asked me how I did it. That's the first time either my boss or I had gotten any kind of compliance from her. Postive methods work, people. Really!
  • I got a gnarly sunburn working all weekend. I feel like crap.
  • Interesting thing happened at work: Joanna's RFP isn't going that well and she said she's thinking about looking for other jobs. I wish she would so I could just stay at my job, but enough of the Board is supporting her that I don't think she'll have to resort to that. Regardless, if I get another job, I can just say that I started looking because I wasn't sure what was going to happen with her and can leave without any drama.

I guess that's all I've had going on. I'm sure I'll think of something I left out later. But it's bedtime for me now. Good-night, everyone.

3 Comments:

  • It's wonderful to hear you be so positive. I'm glad you let go of the stress the job was causing you. And congratulations on getting through to the lady with the german shepard. Will you give me some lessons when I get a new dog?

    By Blogger Diana, at 6:34 AM  

  • Funny...I almost added to my post earlier - would you please give lessons to your father about how to train a dog - but then I erased it because I didn't want to be mean. Because let me tell you...your father (not my husband!) could really use some help.

    By Blogger Diana, at 4:14 PM  

  • Nope, your husband could really use some help. He's actually my son. :)

    By Blogger Rachel, at 9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home