Central Hawk

Thursday, April 10

The One Where I Remember San Antonio

Jay Bilas wrote a nice column on espn.com about his memories of the basketball season. And since I just returned from the most memorable sporting weekend of my life, I thought I should memorialize it on this blog as well. And since we never write on it, it will probably be the top blog for a long time. :)

In no particular order:

I'll remember the look on Roy's face when his team stepped into the free throw lane early, giving Cole Aldrich another free throw that he actually made.

I'll remember Cole Aldrich fighting Tyler Hansborough for that rebound and thinking that no one had ever worked harder for a rebound.

I'll remember walking out of the stadium behind Tyler's dad. How freaking awesome is it that he walks with a limp? Ahh, the Ozarks.

I'll remember watching Kansas streak to a 40-12 lead and thinking how I had been on the Roy-coached end of the Final Four chokes many, many times.

I'll remember Kansas blowing that lead and then re-establishing it.

I'll remember the Kansas frontcourt dominating Tyler, even though he did have a decent second half.

I'll remember how Roy sent us his last final dig by not crying when he lost for the first time in tournament history.

I'll remember standing and clapping for Roy in a Jayhawk sticker.

I'll remember the guy who looked like Roy (somebody get this man 18 points) telling us in his best Southern drawl that "someone's gettin neked tonight. I called it! I called it! I just didn't know it would be the homeless guy, so we got the hell outta there."

I'll remember the guy in the North Carolina shirt telling me that he had a strange feeling that Kansas was going to beat Memphis on a last-second Mario Chalmers 3-pointer.

I'll remember being reduced to a blushing, speechless mess as Bill Self walked by me when we were sitting outside the Hilton.

I'll remember Chandler imitating Tyler.

I'll remember sneaking into the back entrance of the Hilton to stalk Kansas basketball players and talking to Larry Brown (even though he didn't talk back.)

I'll remember how excited we were to see a Whataburger.

I'll remember hearing about Boone Pickens' offering Bill millions of dollars and being compelled to walk around the Riverwalk holding a sign.

I'll remember the kid dribbling the basketball between his legs as he told me that Bill wasn't leaving. "I gots the hookup. But don't tell anyone I told you."

I'll remember the look on both Mon and Chandler's face when we saw that kid sitting on the second row next to Julian Wright.

I'll remember Bill's smile when they won.

I'll remember Mon and Chandler's smile when they won.

I'll remember everyone I hugged when Mario hit that three.

I'll remember that awful chant: T-I-G-E-R-S-TIGERS! And I'll remember how happy I was that I would never have to hear it again.

I'll remember singing the alma mater song after winning a national championship.

I'll remember what it felt like when everyone, including the players, sat down to watch "One Shining Moment." (The ball is tipped...)

I'll remember Mario (the car).

I'll remember feeling like a Mastercard commercial (watching your team win the national championship...priceless.) Never mind the fact that I'll be broke until Christmas.

I'll remember Bill Self saying that he's staying.

Jay Bilas' last "I'll remember" was so good that I'm going to steal it for my own:
"I'll remember Mario Chalmers' shot. I'll remember Kansas and how resilient that team is. I'll remember the Jayhawks as champions."

Rock Chalk Jayhawks.

2 Comments:

  • I have tears in my eyes ... again. I have just a few more.

    I'll remember hangin' with Jack & Judy.

    I'll remember Rach using the words "I heart ..." :)

    I'll remember cheering like I've never cheered in my life from a 60 - 51 deficit to a 63 - 63 tie to a national championship. I'll remember being the only person in the whole section standing up from that deficit to the end of the game. Man, I bet that annoyed some people.

    I'll remember singing the alma mater with my two favorite people in the whole world.

    Hey Rach, I heart you!

    By Blogger Monica, at 8:25 AM  

  • I remember thinking when it was 60-51 that Rach will be broke until Christmas and whether or not she will think it was worth it. I remember thinking at the end of the game that she totally would.

    By Blogger Diana, at 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home