Central Hawk

Monday, July 11

The One With the Good, the Bad and the Ugly of Dog Training

The Good: I had my second-ever private lesson Sunday, and it went very well. It was this cute, black terrier mix, a cross between Toto and Benji, who was very well behaved and very sweet. The owner wanted to do a package of lessons just to get his dog basic manners, and all the things he wanted to do, I know how to teach!! It was really fun and exciting, which is why I wanted to be a dog trainer in the first place -- to play with pups all day. :) Plus, my boss says she's going to start giving me a lot more clients. I expect to be doing this full-time in a year or two.

The Bad: Muggsy was having a bad day yesterday. He attacked Chubbs, basically out of nowhere, and got put in his crate. We let him out after five minutes, but he just stayed in there. After a half hour, I went over to pet him and he growled at me. He would have started barking and lunging, but I just closed the crate and walked away. My boss said to give him a day off, so I did. I didn't even bathe him, which I really wanted to do.

The Ugly: We did practice Door! Saturday. No muzzle but extra leg restraint. He is able to allow me to hold his leg in position for 20 seconds now. The goal is 30 seconds. This week, we add in that third person. A couple of trainers have agreed to help me as has a friend at work. Guess we'll see what happens.


In Other News: I got a second interview!! It's this Wednesday at 3. I'll keep you all posted on what happens. Hopefully, by my 26th birthday, I'll be working at a new agency. Keep me in your thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home