Central Hawk

Tuesday, November 15

The One Where It's Basketball Season!!

Last Wednesday night, football season ended. And just in the nick of time, seeing how Kansas was destroyed, obliterated, annihilated by Texas on Saturday. But, of course, Wednesday marked the beginning of basketball season. Yes, Kansas fans, no more shouting, "Wait until basketball season!" It's here. All in all, it was a successful football season. Kansas beat Missouri and ended a 36-game losing streak to Nebraska. What more can you ask for?

It just hit me this morning that basketball season was in full swing when Kansas had two of the top 10 plays on SportsCenter for its exhibition win against Pittsburg State (no, there's no 'h' -- this is a small Kansas school). Brandon Rush (sorry, I still think it's so wrong that we have a Rush at KU) had one and Giles, who led the team with 24 points, had another. I was 10 minutes late to work because I stuck around to watch the highlights, but I think my boss will understand. :) The best part, though, was that Missouri lost its regular season opener to Sam Houston State. HA! The SportsCenter anchor said, "Quin's hair was in midseason form, but his team wasn't." Hahahahahaha. Isn't it about time to show Quin the door? Believe me, I'm a huge Quin fan -- he's run that program into the ground. But please, Tigers, let's have some dignity. Surely, you can't accept a sixth place finish in the Big 12 every year?

I actually missed both exhibition games, both times because I was catching up with old friends from Texas. Last night, one of Ross' old college roommates came into town, one of my favorite of his friends. He always makes me laugh and we have a surprising amount of things in common. It's always funny when you hear someone say something that is just completely like you but you never realized it. That happens with my friends all the time, but it doesn't happen out here because everyone is so different from me. That's great, but it's nice to catch up with people who you can relate to. Even though I'm a lame adult now and had to go home at 10, I really enjoyed spending time with him. (And watching the Cowboys come back to beat the Eagles, which is always fun, even if football season is over.)

Guess that's about it. Kansas opens its season Friday against Idaho State. I certainly won't miss that. I'm excited to see what this group of unproven freshmen and sophomores look like. And I'm comforted by the thought that no matter what happens this year, nothing can be worse than watching last year's team lose to Bucknell. :)

4 Comments:

  • Yes! I completely agree (of course!)! A Rush, I almost can't stand it. As long as he keeps his butt out of jail and on the court, it's cool.

    Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU! (Woo woo woo woo ... as David would say, wonder where he got that?)

    By Blogger Monica, at 10:49 AM  

  • Wait! Remember the Woo Woo drink? That's Deke. Maybe I should go say hi to Deke. Hee, hee.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 9:29 AM  

  • That's not Deke. Why do you lie to me?

    He will never, ever live that one down.

    By Blogger Monica, at 7:42 AM  

  • Nope. Never. That and whhuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttt?

    By Blogger Rachel, at 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home