Central Hawk

Friday, June 30

The One Without the Barn Party

I just read very sad news on the Daily Kansan web site. The J-School voted to get rid of the barn party, a Kansan tradition for the last 30 years. Besides the addie-newsie softball game, a source of pride and free kegs, this was the only activity that brought the news staff together with the hated ad staff. The J-School would provide buses that drove us out of town to a farm owned by an older couple who was happy to host college parties. Boy, did I have some good times at those things.

Just think, Chris, about all the memories future generations of KU students won't have: trying to pull Juan out of the hay when he passed out at like 8 p.m., watching addies go at it in the stalls, Nathan doing a pole dance, trying to dress skankier than the addies (well, more me than you :), mixing rum with Dr. Topper because I couldn't afford the Dr. Pepper after buying the rum... How can you take that away?

Plus, someone sent anonymous pictures of the Last Night of Production to the Dean to try to get that stopped. Last Night of Production is what it sounds -- the last night of production for the semester. Everyone would sneak in mass amounts of alcohol and drink after the janitor's crew came through. That's when you passed your editor position to the next editor coming in with a shot of cheap whiskey. After the paper came out, we would head to Mass St. to close down the bars and then hit the lawn of Frasier for a game of kickball. Then, of course, running through the Chi Omega fountain. I can barely remember stripping down in my yard and leaving my clothes all over the lawn. (Remember how much trouble you got into with my roommates the next day because we were doing our laundry?!?!?)

I understand the Board's determination that they don't want to sponsor opportunities for underage drinking or support the consumption of alcohol by the students, but they're college students! That's half the college experience. By not providing the buses, you're just opening up the chance for more accidents because the underage drinking will still happen, just with underage driving afterward. I can't believe even Musser voted against it!

Anyway, I was very saddened to read that report today. I hope that the current Kansan journalists will be creative enough to find a way around all this and continue to have those end of the semester traditions. I mean, what's next -- the addie-newsie softball game? Really.

1 Comments:

  • Yes, your shots were always pretty cruel. I did make Hutch do a shot of $3 whiskey. That was pretty mean.

    At the concert yesterday, they were selling SoCo hurricanes. SoCo always makes me think of you...

    By Blogger Rachel, at 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home